Prison of war camp in high green

Hi

No my dates are not wrong. I went to Burncross School Juniors and when I reached 11 I failed the 11 plus so went to Bracken Hill with all those from Burncross who did not pass their 11 plus, it being the first year of secondary school, before we were then sent on to second year at High Green Secondary Modern. My form teacher at Bracken Hill was Mrs Gradwell (Form A) - I was 11 in 1956. I remember most of the camp as just a rubble at that time.

Hi,Sorry about that I thought they knocked everything down,there was a Miss Gradwell at High green when I was there,I spoke to someone earlier this year and they told she was still alive, now in her late nineties.

Hi everybody. My name is Nicola Palumbo. I'm Italian and I'm looking for information about my grand father, who was a POW at Pottershill Camp n. 127during WWII. He came back home in January 1946.

My parents gave me his name and he died when I was just 7 y.h.

From my father's tales I've known that during his captivity he produced shoes and soccer balls for a soccer team, as he was a shoemaker. As I could understand, he must have been in touch with civilian British people, but I've no more information about that. I've got his POW identity card and a folder stamped by the Garrison & Deakin photographic studio in Doncaster, with his pictures in.

Thank you for all the information you'll be able to give me.

I have seen a map on line which over lays the existing houses to show where it once was .

The americans i think were camped a round the Wortley area on the top road from Grenoside , it was a large storage area and the firing range was also in the area .

The Italians were p.o.w s in the camp but also it contained germans till three of them made a break and were caught by the locals .

I have a book called High Green archives , there is a photo of the camp in there .

---------- Post added 27-08-2016 at 18:29 ----------

This is one of the links to the camp

http://wikimapia.org/3626617/Site-of-Potter-Hill-POW-Camp

Hi,Sorry about that I thought they knocked everything down,there was a Miss Gradwell at High green when I was there,I spoke to someone earlier this year and they told she was still alive, now in her late nineties.

I was taught English 1969 - 1970 by a Miss Gradwell at Ecclesfield Comprehensive . She lived on Housley Lane off Burncross Road if I remember correctly...

Is this thread still active?