Prison of war camp in high green

Thanks

Called Potters Hill Camp 127/296. Pow Is Bracken Hill Camp the same place ?

Shows Angram Bank Primary school on same site on Google map

Cheers Keith43

I was only a toddler and don't remember the camp, but I had some doll's house furniture my grandpa had made for me by one of the Italian prisoners. My daughter later had it and now my granddaughter has it and is saving it for her new daughter.

Google it Keith43 you may get your answer there.A site to go on for you is Sheffield Hearts and roots its a brilliant site for ex pats,try it you wont be disappointed.

If you Google there's lots of info out there. Have just found "wikimapia.org" which shows a map and says about Potters Hill, " some camp structures and facilities were used after the wars end for public housing. By the early 1960's this was no longer the case and all that remained were concrete roads and some foundations. Traces of the camp have been completely eradicated by more recent development that started in the late 1960's".

Also http://www.movemoresheffield.com says "Potters Hill (also called Bracken Hill) camp was erected on fields near Barnes Hall in 1940 to accommodate up to 1500 people made homeless by the war. During the war Italian prisoners and American servicemen were billeted there. After the war it was used to house Dutch refugee children and later homeless families from Sheffield were settled there. Eventually developed as a housing estate".

Thankyou everyone

Babs 1 for the dolls house furneture story nice funny I did a simalar thing with my kids

wrinkly67 I looked up wilkmapedia answered the question on the name .....camp ,interesting ,Ill look up movemoresheffield.com

bullerboY Ill look up Sheffield hearts and roots

My father spent time in a Italian POW camp after being captured at Trobruk strange my mum and dad ended up being housed in an ex POW camp for Italians at PH ( Bracken Hill)

Keith43

---------- Post added 31-05-2015 at 10:55 ----------

Google it Keith43 you may get your answer there.A site to go on for you is Sheffield Hearts and roots its a brilliant site for ex pats,try it you wont be disappointed.

sorry cannot find this site Sheffield hearts and roots

any ideas ? thanks Keith43

Hi Wrinkly,Bracken Hill and Potter Hill are two different camps B/H is at Burn cross,P/H is at High green, The roads round B/H are Chapel Rd,Burn Cross Rd and Bracken Hill, and Spring wood on the other side.To get to P/H go down Charlton Brook, then up Potter Hill Lane, that is the nearest side to B/H.I lived at B/H from (45/46) then moved to High green to a new built house 19 steps down to the front door, my dad was miner and we used to get 1 ton of coal every six weeks which I had carry down in a bucket to the coal house.Jimmy Chileds (sp) started knocking B/H down in (53/54),there were 3 rd's Mackenze Rd, Sheringham Rd and Spring Field Rd the highest No was 139.There was a primary school in the centre of B/H camp,also a ministry of pension office,if you want more let me know Stan.

ok thanks I though P H c and B H camp were the same thing Did the latter B H camp have any connection to P OW camps?

Must see if I can find them both on google

Keith43

Hi Keith I think Soldiers were billited there but not sure, they were only primitive one room, come kitchen/dining/living room, pantry, bathroom, 3 bedrooms, but could only use 2 as the far most one from the fire was too cold to use, we were lucky my Farther was a coal miner and we got a ton of coal every six weeks so could build the fire up at night and it would stay in all night, all so put the kettle on the side and then it would boil quick in the morning, it was our only means of cooking. see other thread Stan

Before my mum married during the war she lived on Vickers Road at High Green and my grandparents garden backed on to the Potter Hill camp. This is pretty close to Foster Way. She once told me that the Italian POW's came to the top of their garden to talk to them, and that they were lovely people.

Hi cuttingedge

yes I was only a baby and lived there maybe 5 or 6 years

from what I can remember or gather it was basic rough living My father came out of the Navy and worked for Telephone Rentals that made us fairly hardy and tough as you might say .I missed a lot in the way of education compared to what kids have today

There was good clean fun to be had in all the country side around there

Again looking at google Angram Primary School appears to be the old site must be covered over now

I remember the Chapeltown primary school ,a cricket pitch, Worral Rd and a scout hut near a stream not far away , THose concrete block slatted houses and steel window frames :ring a bell" in my mind, pubs were not a landmark for me in those days .

Keith41

I am a child of Potter Hill camp. born there, Wadsworth Road

Before my mum married during the war she lived on Vickers Road at High Green and my grandparents garden backed on to the Potter Hill camp. This is pretty close to Foster Way. She once told me that the Italian POW's came to the top of their garden to talk to them, and that they were lovely people.

Hi scoobz

thanks Vickers rd and Fosters way cannot recollect those places Yes they must have been safe decent neighbours just waiting for the end of the war

keith43