Prison of war camp in high green

Hi does anyone have any photos / maps of the prison of war camp that was in high green on Potter hill ? (now the site of the council estate near the fosters.)

we now live there and everyone keeps telling us about this POW camp and it would be interesting to see some photos.

many thanks

I was told by the older locals that the camp was used to billet American soldiers prior to D Day and then used as a prison camp for Italian prisoners. These Italians used to go out to work each day to local farms. Unlike German prisoners they were not considered dangerous and they had no intention of trying to escape.

Hi Nimrod

thanks for that. I had heard that the italians painted the inside of St Marys church and that when the Americans were there they used to go training in westwood.

do you know where i may find any photo's i think this extremely interesting.

Bali

Bali,

Your best bet would be the central library for info on the camp.

Glynn

thanks Glynn i will give them a try. do you think that they will have the info available on a web site? as i work long hrs and do not have the chance to go in to the library.

To every one Glynn Bali Tradesscanthia.

I was born there Potter Hill. Ran in the fields after cows. Ex Iti POW camp. Later moved to Warral rd Hg then. Sheffield later nottingham Now in the States would sooner be back home.

I can recall quite a lot

Will keep an eye out for your replies Look forward Keith43

To every one Glynn Bali Tradesscanthia.

I was born there Potter Hill. Ran in the fields after cows. Ex Iti POW camp. Later moved to Warral rd Hg then. Sheffield later nottingham Now in the States would sooner be back home.

I can recall quite a lot

Will keep an eye out for your replies Look forward Keith43

Hi Keith :wave:

and welcome to the forum!

I can't help you with this I'm afraid, but the posts that you have replied to were made in 2006, so you might not get any replies.

Just thought I'd mention it... :)

Ok thanks mr Bloke. Imm a. Bit out of date. No matter. Am just getting into this kind of thing

There is another site sheffieldhistory.co.uk. But cannot handle too much at once

Cheers Keith43

From what I have read before, One of the Italian pow's jobs was concreting the roads that were to become the (New) Parson Cross estate- the part that is near Ecclesfield- perhaps other council estates had similar road paving. Some of the concrete surfaces may still be there to this day.

Thanks Stpetre

Yes I can imagine some of the Pow would not want to go back. Once they met some of the local lasses

I have not been into that neck of the woods since I left it was good fun in those post war days

All the old Industrial Cities ,, bombed out including Sheffield have changed a heck of a lot for the better I still need to tour them all again

Keith43

Thanks Stpetre

Yes I can imagine some of the Pow would not want to go back. Once they met some of the local lasses

I have not been into that neck of the woods since I left it was good fun in those post war days

All the old Industrial Cities ,, bombed out including Sheffield have changed a heck of a lot for the better I still need to tour them all again

Potters Hill was camp number127 of 654 uk camps and was for Italians up to their release when they dropped out of the War 1943/4.