Sony playstation 3

hi ive been asked by someone if you can play copied dvds on a ps 3 also could you play avi's that are on a disk

thanks

recent updates added copy protection meaning the audio cuts out if you try to watch a downloaded film, however if you burn the files as an actual video dvd it will work. it is however illegal of course if you do not own the material.

I have heard it is to do with the format of the sound not the picture this is true with both avi's and dvds .

recent updates added copy protection meaning the audio cuts out if you try to watch a downloaded film, however if you burn the files as an actual video dvd it will work. it is however illegal of course if you do not own the material.

That's due to audio watermarking on certain films, using a technology called Cinavia. As far as I know it's only on Sony Entertainment Film DVDs, the rest play fine.

You'll probably be aware that Sony removed the ability to run Linux from the Playstation. This happened a couple of firmware updates before Cinavia was quietly pushed in. Of course, what would have happened is people would have started using linux distros to watch what they want overriding Cinavia. So they got rid of one of the USPs of the PS3 (ability to run Linux) so they could later snidely protect their IP.

So it seems that Sony Entertainment Pictures call the shots over Sony Computer Entertainment and can tell 100,000,000 PS3 customers to shove it. Last PS product I'll ever buy, even it means paying the Microsoft Live Tax to get online. /rant

Edited by kinetic

to be honest tho the quality of 99% of copies is poor so I have stopped being inpatient and wait for the dvd to come out then rent

to be honest tho the quality of 99% of copies is poor so I have stopped being inpatient and wait for the dvd to come out then rent

The thing is, there are legitimate reasons for wanting to play content through your PS3 without the original disc. I have a media server which I use to store all my media content (movies and music). I've copied over my entire DVD and CD collection to it. It isn't just about piracy, Sony are controlling what you can do with your own media, which you've bought and legally paid for.

It doesn't affect me tbh, I have a HTPC as well, but it was handy to be able stream movies to the PS3 in certain situation.

That's due to audio watermarking on certain films, using a technology called Cinavia. As far as I know it's only on Sony Entertainment Film DVDs, the rest play fine.

You'll probably be aware that Sony removed the ability to run Linux from the Playstation. This happened a couple of firmware updates before Cinavia was quietly pushed in. Of course, what would have happened is people would have started using linux distros to watch what they want overriding Cinavia. So they got rid of one of the USPs of the PS3 (ability to run Linux) so they could later snidely protect their IP.

So it seems that Sony Entertainment Pictures call the shots over Sony Computer Entertainment and can tell 100,000,000 PS3 customers to shove it. Last PS product I'll ever buy, even it means paying the Microsoft Live Tax to get online. /rant

You're complaining about Sony protecting its own ip/investment :loopy: stupid Sony should make it easy for you to pirate its films how dare they. Maybe they should just send you free copies.

You're complaining about Sony protecting its own ip/investment :loopy: stupid Sony should make it easy for you to pirate its films how dare they. Maybe they should just send you free copies.

Where is Rich to stick his 2 pennys worth in ? :hihi:

No, I'm not doing that at all :loopy: Perhaps you have a problem with comprehending fairly basic concepts :huh:

You see, most manufacturers of consumer electronic goods release firmware to enhance the functionality of the device or to fix bugs. Sony, on the other hand, have released a succession of firmware "upgrades" which has downgraded the functionality of the device.

The PS3 was marketed from day 1 as being an open console (compared to the locked down architecture of the Xbox 360). It was sold as a device that you could install Linux on if you wished to (and many people did), which would allow for homebrew software, or for you to use it as a basic PC connected to your TV (complete with USB sockets for a mouse/keyboard).

However, they removed this functionality through stealth patches. Because they knew, that in the impending future, they were going to implement Cinavia copy protection (after all, what would be the point in implementing Cinavia into the PS3's playback software when someone could just boot into Linux, load up VLC and watch it without interruption). This isn't about IP protection, it's about selling a device and advertising it as having certain features and then removing those features, an action which has brought about (unsurprisingly) a class action lawsuit against Sony.

Sony have a history of treating valid, paying customers with contempt. See the BMG copy protection rootkit scandal for example. I've owned every Playstation (I queued up to buy the first one), and the PSP. I've owned a Sony Errikson phone (a long time ago), Vaio laptops and a Bravia TV. I'm not posting as an Xbox fanboy. I just believe that if you treat your paying customers like mugs you don't deserve their custom, and I personally won't be buying Sony equipment again.

As for protecting IP; copy protection can always be circumvented. Often resulting in a superior product to the original (media that will play on any device, no FBI warning at the start of DVDs, no region restriction, etc). The only people who are punished by IP protection is the paying customer.

Before Steam came along as a game delivery method for PCs, PC gaming was practically dying. Game companies were stopping producing titles (especially multiformat games) on the PC because they were so easy to download, install and play (they were often available days, if not weeks, before the full retail release and it was often quicker to download than it was go to the shop and buy a boxed retail version).

Steam practically saved the PC gaming market. To quote the CEO: "In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the U.S. release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty."

The movie and music industry could learn alot from that. Of course there will always be people who will pirate things (most of whom would never have purchased the product in the first place). But at the moment, with a decent net connection, it can take 5 minutes to download a near blu-ray quality film; months before it's out in the UK, for free. That's quicker than the time it takes to drive to Blockbuster and rent it.

I should perhaps add to the above, things like Netflix and Spotify are moves in the right direction. But perhaps it's too little too late, a whole generation of kids have grown up used to getting things from the internet for free.

With net speeds constantly increasingly it's not impossible to imagine the day when you can download every song and every album ever released in a couple of hours. How can they compete against that? They've lost the war already. They had a chance to legitimize media-by-internet back in the early days, instead they chose to shut down Napster and 100 sites appeared to replace it. They haven't learned a thing (see piratebay for example). The big music companies are history, they just don't know it yet.

Edited by kinetic

If you really wanted to be naughty you could buy a tv with a usb media player that plays Avi, MP4 or Divx then download your very illegal content onto a flash drive, then simply pop it in your tellys usb and bobs your uncle. No PS3, dvd player or DVD disc required. You would obviously only do this if you were very naughty. So dont. :rolleyes:

If people weren't so quick to steal movies/games/music etc then sony wouldn't be forced to remove things like Linux. You only have yourselves to blame.