River don anybody ?

has anybody been fishing in the don since the season opened?we go down at the back of effingham road&the stevenson road &at the back of the wicker areas.has anybody been there or any other areas on the don&how have you fared?we usually fish with maggot or worm on the float&seem to catch grayling,trout,roach,perch,chub but alas no barbel as we do not fish on the bottom but we wre thinking about doing it in order to catch some

i've been on the don today. spent the first couple of hours on the stick catching plenty of trout and grayling. i then decided to sit it out on the bomb with meat/big pellet hoping for a chub or barbel but none were forthcoming.

where was you fishing charliewag ?

I fished last friday at hillsboror, fished stick float with maggot and bread. In 3 1/2 hours estimated about 100 fish upto 1 1/2 lb. 3 perch rest were grayling and trout, 70% were grayling.

I fished last friday at hillsboror, fished stick float with maggot and bread. In 3 1/2 hours estimated about 100 fish upto 1 1/2 lb. 3 perch rest were grayling and trout, 70% were grayling.

sounds good sport just the thing for me & my nephew whos 16 & just ot the fishing bug!what stretch was it please?we may go down for a bash this weekend

From the five arches down to the dogs. Take waders travel light (just basics) and walk about, look for pacier stretches about 2-3 ft deep and you should be ok.

From the five arches down to the dogs. Take waders travel light (just basics) and walk about, look for pacier stretches about 2-3 ft deep and you should be ok.

thanks for the info really appreciated mate

Had a ride around the Don @ Meadowhall earlier, because the water level is pretty high a lot of the bank is missing, and with the rain not expected to clear I cannot see it getting much better!

Bumped into a couple of anglers who had been fishing about a week ago, he then showed me a pic of a 10lb barbel he had! Not revealing where but did tell me meat & pellets are the way to go (no big shock, but its nice to know!).

For me, the main issue with fishing this stretch, is - I haven't a clue where to begin! I presume I'm looking for a slightly deeper hold, but they are hard to see when you cannot get near the river at most locations!

Anyways, I digress! I do intend to give it a try soon and will let you know.

About 7 years ago me and a mate did a 8 page pullout for Advanced pole fishing, Called suburban fishing, we did this in Rotherham town centre under Chantery Bridge just down from tescos. The place was full of Chub & Trout and roach. Full of fish. In a day we used to catch 100lb regular. Further up the river under the wear at tescos it gets fished for barbel and i seen up to 10lb barbel caught there and regular. Not seen how its fishing this year due to working in Sheffield these days but it used to be the nuts

Excellent, the stretch you mentioned is about a mile's walk for me. Was that before or after 'the great floods'?

Talking about the floods, i was planning a little outing tomorrow but the places you mentioned will be under a metre of water! (and currently, i cannot wade!)

I know a few places that will be accessible further upstream and towards meadowhall, but I know high water fishing is usually a no no. Any tips? I was thinking try and find a big hold in the river a splodge a method feeder in the middle (pellet/meat) and also perhaps a lighter setup with fixed ledger with small pellet/worm.

As you can most likely tell, i have fished a river in a while :help:

you'll not be fishing anywhere on the don this weekend. i took the dog for a walk this afternoon and even the slacks are a brown torrent.