Sheffield council tax can you pay it by credit card ?

Did we ever find out, if you can pay your council tax by credit card? :hihi:

I know that some individuals have resorted to paying their rent by credit card, it was in the news about 6 months ago. The reason being that the government are fleesing us with council tax & TV licence charges, fuel bills, food bills etc etc etc!!!!!!!

It keeps your mind occupied by worrying you sick about what you owe so that you won't think about questioning what's going on in the world eg the banks owing billions in unpaid tax, blah de bla de bla you know the rest!!!!!!!!!!!

Did we ever find out, if you can pay your council tax by credit card? :hihi:

Pages ago, yes we did! And you normally can't, see; https://www.santanderbillpayment.co.uk/sheffieldcc/scripts/index.asp

However, like most organisations that are owed money, I feel sure that if your council tax is, say, 12 months in arrears Sheffield City Council could find a way to accept such payment. I know some mortgage lenders may accept funds in such a constructive way, but only once the mortgage is well in arrears. Better to accept funds that way than have to go through expensive debt recovery legal actions, or write the debt off.

The charges made by the credit card issuing companies to the council for accepting each transaction is greater than for debit card payments. In the interests of all council tax payers to raise as much revenue as possible at lowest cost, the council takes only debit card payments. That's normal for this sort of transaction.

Pay it at a paypoint. They accept credit card payment.

It is unlikely to be registered as Sheffield City Council is it?

The Labour party is/was registered to Alistair Darling under UK something or something UK,cant remember.

A local authority is a corporate entity [Local Government Act 1972 etc.] but it is not a company.

Exactly it's an ACT & ACTS need your consent to be enforced it's not law it only has the force of law WITH consent.

Nonsense. An Act of Parliament becomes law by Royal Assent. No voters' consent is needed.

Yes i know this.My point was that councils have been known to issue there own summons eg using council letter heads.

It's perfectly legitimate for Local Authorities to use their own letterheads.

But a County Court summons, being a Court document, needs to comply with the Court rules re format.

I think that Sheffield City Council don't want you paying your council tax bill by Credit Card, because if you do then it sets a contract up between them and the Credit Card company. Because the total sum of Council Tax is above £100, under the Supply of Goods and Services act 1982, a citizen could more easily argue that they are not getting the service that they are paying for or are entitled (e.g if for instance there is a bin strike, or the state of the highway causes you to hit a pothole and screw up your car). In this instance, you could push your Credit Card company to refund you your money paid and have the Credit Card company go into dispute with the Council on your behalf as the money was originally paid by Credit Card that they accepted hence the contract was made between SCC and the Credit Card company on your behalf.

SCC don't want to have to get into these sorts of legal wrangles and difficulties, as Credit Card companies invariably have the clout to put the right kind of lawyers into these sorts of disputes. Being financial institutions, they have the real power. Governments invariably wish to keep their citizens suppressed, as without that power then they feel that chaos would ensue

Edited by ShefStealth
Context clarification

Plus the c/card fees charged to traders.

Yeah, but they can have those passed on via the agents that they have dealing with these matters on their behalf. They just have to declare the extra percentage that they are levying for handling and processing fees.

Pay it at a paypoint. They accept credit card payment.

I don't see Sheffield City Council listed to pay Council Tax. Sheffield Homes, yes.

Witnessed it 1st hand.It was a friend of mine,we where asked by him to attend.The magistrate kept recessing.He put the case to the very back of the day.He then asked every one in the public gallery to leave.5 of us never stood either,so he did not have any jurisdiction over us either.He eventually abandoned court.By doing this, he handed jurisdiction over to my friend,who was then the highest person in the court.He then dismissed his own case.

Blimey, this is great news! FMoTL win in court! If you could be so kind as to send me the link to the case that would be superb - I'll spread the word immediately. With evidence in hand only the seriously hard of thinking will still pay their TV/fishing licences.

Actually, don't worry about the whole link - like you're always saying, I'll

Do the research.

Just the date of the hearing will be fine. Just the month and year, even. Which court were you in at the time?