Council tenants and unkempt gardens.

IF some people think council tenants should be forced to maintain gardens, then perhaps they also think private tenants, owner occupiers, mortgagees and the owners of empty buildings should be forced to keep their gardens in a good state too.

Fair enough point but council tennants who don't want the burden of looking after a garden could make way for the thousands on the waiting list who do.

If you don't want a garden live in a flat........simples.

The state of the front gardens on an estate is a great indicator of whether or not it's a good estate.

You wanna grow up and put your dunmmy back in because people don't agree with you.

Lets have a look at your factors.

AGE...There are numerous agencies to help for free.

FINANCES...It costs nothing to cut your grass.

CRIME......What has that got to do with tidying your garden up.:loopy::loopy:.

There is no debate from you just pathetic childish tantrums giving excuses for lazy idle ignorance.

Age - How many elderly people are aware of the various free agencies available to come and do such work for them? How many elderly people are willing to accept such help when most want to remain independent and feel embaressed to ask for such help? How many elderly people are actually able bodied enough to get the most out of their gardens?

Finances - Obviously it does cost something to cut your grass! In some working class areas the main emphasis might be to feed and cloth your family first and foremost and some struggle to do that never mind cough up x amount of cash to buy a lawnmower or a pair of shears. In the current economic climate many are struggling, many are unemployed and on benefits or elderly on a shoestring pension. Are going to go round and lend them your Flymo?

Crime - Your talking about an area that has just had a spate of door numbers, letterbox and knockers thefts. The little torags will get their hands on anything that isn't nailed down. Most can't even have a shed at the risk of it getting broken into and the contents stolen meaning that said gardening equipment has to be left indoors. A friend of mine at work lives on the Hackenthorpe estate and for the last 6 months he's been plagued with teenage louts hanging around outside his house throwing rubbish over his garden and using his privets as a trampoline. Why would you want to continue to make an effort when ignorant youths ruining it overnight.

Multiple factors have a direct impact on the area that you are singling out and pretty much every council area at the minute. Financial difficulties, Unemployment and unruly neighbours who don't care about anyone else.

Age - How many elderly people are aware of the various free agencies available to come and do such work for them? How many elderly people are willing to accept such help when most want to remain independent and feel embaressed to ask for such help? How many elderly people are actually able bodied enough to get the most out of their gardens?

Lots of them and I know a few on the wybourn, free garden fences free gardening.

Finances - Obviously it does cost something to cut your grass! In some working class areas the main emphasis might be to feed and cloth your family first and foremost and some struggle to do that never mind cough up x amount of cash to buy a lawnmower or a pair of shears. In the current economic climate many are struggling, many are unemployed and on benefits or elderly on a shoestring pension. Are going to go round and lend them your Flymo?

Then why live in a house with a garden.

Crime - Your talking about an area that has just had a spate of door numbers, letterbox and knockers thefts. The little torags will get their hands on anything that isn't nailed down. Most can't even have a shed at the risk of it getting broken into and the contents stolen meaning that said gardening equipment has to be left indoors. A friend of mine at work lives on the Hackenthorpe estate and for the last 6 months he's been plagued with teenage louts hanging around outside his house throwing rubbish over his garden and using his privets as a trampoline. Why would you want to continue to make an effort when ignorant youths ruining it overnight.

Theives don't steal tidy lawns and cut privet and yobs would be there whatever the state of the garden........Phone the police.

Multiple factors have a direct impact on the area that you are singling out and pretty much every council area at the minute. Financial difficulties, Unemployment and unruly neighbours who don't care about anyone else.

People not caring about the state of their properties has a massive direct impact on an area.

I'm sorry but no way will you convince me it is favourable to keep your property looking like a tip, In all honesty I can't believe any level headed person could suggest this.

You have not given one valid reason for not keeping a garden tidy.

If people don't want a garden why not let someone who does have it?.

Let's say a few are valid eg old people empty property etc. We are not talking about a few though are we.

Edited by ooisit

People not caring about the state of their properties has a massive direct impact on an area.

I'm sorry but no way will you convince me it is favourable to keep your property looking like a tip, In all honesty I can't believe any level headed person could suggest this.

You have not given one valid reason for not keeping a garden tidy.

If people don't want a garden why not let someone who does have it?.

Who says i'm in favour of keeping your garden looking like a tip? At any point in the debate have I said that I am personally in favour of it? That's right no I haven't!. I look after my garden because i'm in the position to do so, age at the minute is still very much on my side and I live in an area fortunate enough to have nice respectful neighbours therefore my garden is my own and nobody touches it.

I'm simply touching on the point that for some people despite the fact they might love to have a nice garden for whatever reason it's just not feasible to do so, this doesn't mean they don't care does it? Circumstances simply don't allow it so who are we to go out there and attack everyone?

Who says i'm in favour of keeping your garden looking like a tip? At any point in the debate have I said that I am personally in favour of it? That's right no I haven't!. I look after my garden because i'm in the position to do so, age at the minute is still very much on my side and I live in an area fortunate enough to have nice respectful neighbours therefore my garden is my own and nobody touches it.

I'm simply touching on the point that for some people despite the fact they might love to have a nice garden for whatever reason it's just not feasible to do so, this doesn't mean they don't care does it? Circumstances simply don't allow it so who are we to go out there and attack everyone?

Again you say in some cases it is not feasable to have a tidy garden, well in that case you don't need a garden and make way for someone who does.

Anyway I am speaking of the whole road I was in general and nearly all were a disgrace so let's for one second say you are right [which I don't] for the sake of it, are you trying to tell me there is a valid reason for the majority of these house to have tips for a garden? Are you telling me cutting the grass is anything to do with crime or other things you mention?

Are you really trying to tell me that it is acceptable to have a unusable dump for a garden and there is a good reason for 90% of the road to be in this state?

I'm not talking about garden of the year I'm talking just keeping it tidy.

I think this is unfair. If you don't have a lawnmower etc - how do you cut your grass? The council say they offer "help" to sort out gardens, but they don't.

Charity agencies say they will help - but not with the exterior of your garden.

It shouldn't be just "Council Tenants" who get the criticism. What about people who purchase there houses etc...there gardens are total tips!

If it was a perfect world, you would get off your high horse and look at the bigger picture. Some people don't have the time/money to do the garden for alot of reasons.

Stop picking a fight for no reason.

If you don't live in the area...then what does it matter to you?

IF some people think council tenants should be forced to maintain gardens, then perhaps they also think private tenants, owner occupiers, mortgagees and the owners of empty buildings should be forced to keep their gardens in a good state too.

Yep..I don't have a problem with that...do you?

I think this is unfair. If you don't have a lawnmower etc - how do you cut your grass? The council say they offer "help" to sort out gardens, but they don't.

Charity agencies say they will help - but not with the exterior of your garden.

It shouldn't be just "Council Tenants" who get the criticism. What about people who purchase there houses etc...there gardens are total tips!

If it was a perfect world, you would get off your high horse and look at the bigger picture. Some people don't have the time/money to do the garden for alot of reasons.

Stop picking a fight for no reason.

If you can't afford a lawnmower or get access to one why live in a house with a garden? a garden with three foot high grass is unsuitable for human use.

There were plenty in that categary.

It's not just council tennants but they have the easier option to move into property without a garden.

Sometimes you dont get the option of what property you move into with the Council. I'm sure people would love to have a property without a garden etc. And Sedith - Chill dude. I don't have a garden, and I don't drink. So don't assume i'm in Wetherspoons all weekend. I put my opinion across - thats all. I don't expect to be insulted by it. Goodness me.

Sometimes you dont get the option of what property you move into with the Council. I'm sure people would love to have a property without a garden etc. And Sedith - Chill dude. I don't have a garden, and I don't drink. So don't assume i'm in Wetherspoons all weekend. I put my opinion across - thats all. I don't expect to be insulted by it. Goodness me.

I didn't say you drank Princess, I used it as a generalisation from the unkept gardens I have seen littered with Stella cans and Cider bottles. However, if you take on a property with an outside area of garden, you ought to have to maintain it or look elsewhere to live. You have to consider the people who live around you and the derelict impression it gives to an area. Where rubbish acccumalates, more rubbish gets added until you have a serious case of urban decay.