C'mon Andy Murray.

When asked at a press conference who he would be supporting in the 2006 World Cup, Andy Murray replied 'Anyone but England'

It was a joke Sarah,six years ago.

I like Murray as he reminds me of my childhood. My dad used to have a ferret.

I don't particularly like Murray but " fair doos ", he put up a good show. Don't understand why he cried though.

Hes a horrible man.

He cant stand the English no matter what his public relations people say to the contrary and for that reason alone i hope he loses all his money and retires skint and even more bitter.

Now that would be karma :D

Grow up. You are pathetic

When asked at a press conference who he would be supporting in the 2006 World Cup, Andy Murray replied 'Anyone but England'

Its a shame that people judge others on such false information. Its always best to know the full story. So here's the background to the remark that is so often misquoted.

'What is it about the British No. 1 that galls people so?

The answer to that question depends on whom you ask, given Murray’s countless alleged shortcomings in the eyes of the public. Some do not appreciate the Scot’s dry demeanour, as though Murray should be expected to boast a Tom Cruise-esque ear-to-ear grin while he competes in the most oppressive era in the game’s history.

Others dislike his working-class background, seemingly put off by the fact that he would rather drink a can of Irn-Bru than a glass of Pimms.

But perhaps the most notable obstacle to the British public's affections is the perpetuation of the myth that he is anti-English, a lie that has spread over the years and taken on a life of its own.

The reality is that this perception is the result of a joke Murray made during the 2006 World Cup. It was said during an interview in response to some good-natured ribbing from Tim Henman and Daily Mail journalist Des Kelly, who had decided to have some fun at the expense of the Scottish national football team.

Murray responded in kind, playfully suggesting that he would be supporting anyone but England during the World Cup. Naturally, the UK tabloids picked up the transcript of the interview, stripped it of its context and portrayed Murray as a dour xenophobe.

Unfortunately, this piece of irresponsible journalism has followed the British No. 1 throughout his career, despite being debunked at around the same time as Alchemy and Phrenology. And it is largely responsible for Murray’s rocky relationship with the general public.'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1249803-wimbledon-2012-can-andy-murray-expect-home-support-against-federer

Edited by Ms Macbeth

My final comment about Andy Murray is that his post match interview emotional speech was so moving,so gracious and in my opinion (that it seems not everyone has shared) was totally sincere.

Well done Andy your no loser and you did Scotland proud. :clap:

Bad luck Andy, he should have taken a few tips from Johnny Marray.

At least that Marray did the job this weekend.

No pun intended lolol

bet he was british when he lost yesterday lol

but if he had won he would be scottish

Is it better that he cried and took so long with his speech at the end, unlike Fed.

Do we think better of him and love him more for it and does it really make didly squat.

Also, should he have just taken it on his chin and stood firm, instead of showing what could be classed as weakness to his tennis rivals.

And i so wanted to have the last word on this thread...........Help.