Views and opinions on witchcraft

Originally posted by Ant

... I'm not asking you to explain the processes at the moment, simply explain why this nonsensical veil of secrecy has to be adopted.

Perhaps one reason for this secrecy, is that, it is simply not a prudent investment, explaining such things to people, esp. people who are not emotionally and spiritually able to comprehend the true meaning of what's being explained (and who would just waste your time and energy arguing about it).

Perhaps another reason, is that some individuals are basically on an ego trip, and just want to impress you.

Originally posted by Dragon

I am trying to deal with ten things at once here Jamie.

Maybe some cans of worms are best left unopened eh? (although I do suspect you just can't help yourself when it comes to opening things!!).

I would imagine energy is energy, and there's no good or bad in it, 'good energy' or 'bad energy' it's just context dependent, eg: for a fish, water = good, air = bad, but for a bird, air = good, water = bad (not the best example because a bird will drink water, but then again, it can also drown in it).

You may throw a dart at someone's head, but some people will catch that energy as anything they wish to, as a flower for example, or as anything that suits their purpose. Infact some people will catch that energy before you even transmit it, and the game has ended before it's even started. I would imagine it's all a matter of how adept you are at dealing with energy?

Not that I know anything about anything you understand, I'm just a baby, and know nothing about nothing, apart from this one thing, it's bed time and I'm knackered, so goodnight.

Firstly - I am not a modern day druid. It is unfortunate that the title druid has been changed and messed about with so as to encompass anyone who wears a robe and talks to trees. You list Druid, shaman, witch, and such but originally they were all one thing and in time that one thing became the druid. So - a shaman was a druid, a witch was a druid, a seer was a druid and so on.

Why the veil of secrecy? So many reasons, and least of all is that you would not understand. That was just the easiest example I could find at the time. On the contrary - magik is so simple even a child can understand it.

Some people who acquire a certain amount of knowledge become in need of psychiatric treatment. They believe themselves to be gods or similar. I have known really clever people go off the rails once they have become involved. This is not the fault of magik - it is their inability to deal with it.

I love the continual references to science. Tis so amusing. You can explain so much with science, but not why. Magik does not even try to explain - it just does.

You think that reading a few books, listening to a few lectures, dabbling a little gives you the right to make claims about being a witch? Poppycock. Being a witch means you stick to a few rules and live your life in a particular way. Those rules are the easiest ones a person can break - such as the rule about truth. Do you realise how difficult it is not to lie?

A group of people decided that before anyone learns too much concerning magik they have to effectively prove themselves - hence initiations. But initiations are not proof to anyone other than the person being initiated, for instance. The proof comes in many other forms and unfortunately most fail.

There are many works available to those who wish to study the craft - but there is no magik in the written word. Books are great for ideas concerning magik but contain no magik themselves. The art is learning to read what is meant to be spoken.

Sorry about rambling on. You got me starrted on my favourite topic. Thanks ;)

Dragon

You think that reading a few books, listening to a few lectures, dabbling a little gives you the right to make claims about being a witch? Poppycock. Being a witch means you stick to a few rules and live your life in a particular way.

Dragon

I think the only magik going on in this thread at the moment Dragon is that you seemed to be full of hot air!!!

Who made you the grand authority on this? And who are you to start laying down the law on who can and cannot call themselves a witch? I have an extremely amusing image of you at the moment, standing at the gates of witch-heaven like a messiah of the craft and saying "poppycock" to all those you consider do not make the grade!

(And yes, I do know there's no such thing as witch heaven, before you get another bee in your bonnet!)

But I digress. Everyone is entitled to their opinons, especially on something as abstract as religion, so I respect yours. But as this is a discussion forum I am going to exercise my right to argue against it...

My opinion is that religion - any religion - should be a very personal thing. It is essentially about spirituality and an individual's relationship with the powers that be. Just because somebody doesn't meet your standards of what a wiccan, druid or witch SHOULD be, doesn't mean that that person hasn't found their own path to the gods or spiritual enlightenment.

I think you should have a little more respect for your fellow human beings and their beliefs, rather than getting so preoccupied at trying to prove to us all (or maybe to yourself???) that you're a better and more knowledgable student of the craft than others.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, all this twaddle about keeping the secrets and telling us we wouldn't understand anyway is, quite frankly, poppycock. You are acting like one of those annoying children that go around chanting "I know something you don't know" in silly high-pitched voices. Generally the child in question doesn't actually know that much after all. Those who are party to real secrets tend not to brag about them.

Phew. ****Sits back and waits to be cursed****

Oooooh JBee, you're lovely when you're all fired up!

I'm going to gracefully bow out of this thread now, but before I do I'd like to thank everyone for their contributions, you've all given my plenty of food for thought and I've had my fill.

One final idea I'd like to put forward is this ...

No one is wholey selfish, and no one is wholey selfless.

The path of selflessness, to lose one's small ego self, and thereby engage the 'powers that be' to nurture and guide you, I think has a lot going for it (please substitute 'powers that be' for whatever terminoligy you feel most happy with).

I'm certainly not trying to say I know best, because I know I don't. I also know there are people in this world who are infinitly wiser and more adept than I am, and it's been my good fortune to come across one or two.

*smiling*

Jamie.

Originally posted by Jamie

Oooooh JBee, you're lovely when you're all fired up!

Awww, shucks. :blush: Thanks Jamie! :P

I have a question for Moon Maiden....

I've just read on another thread that you have kids. Do you bring them up as wiccans too? And is their father a wiccan?

Just curious. Please don't answer if you find that too personal.

Originally posted by Ant

If a witch, druid, shaman or whoever, possesses any supernatural abilities, this would be of tremendous interest to the scientific community, and indeed society in general.

To answer this part of your question Ant I assume you have heard of 6th sense or intuition? It is a skill which is very closely linked with imagination. Most people are born with an intuitive streak (sometimes called an inner voice) but as we grow through childhood society and teaching methods insist we rely on the traditional 'five' senses neglecting the other less obvious ones.

There are many scientifically documented cases where perfectly 'normal' people have decided not to catch a plane at the last minute only for the plane they should have been on to crash. Often when interviewed they explain that they had a sense of forbodeing about the flight.

On the contrary - magik is so simple even a child can understand it.

my friends little boy who is only two years old told another friend "fire kitchen" he has only just learned to talk, thinking he could smell smoke she checked the kitchen but there was nothing.

Everyone left and the lady who's house it is went into the garden to get some veg and when she came back in a tea towel had fallen on top of the grill and caught fire.

whicthcraft ,druidism, christ and the goddess......................long ago in britain and ireland the druids had an ecological religion .there in the white secret islands ,they worshippid the goddess diana in ireland her children were the tuath de danann.. the brutal roman male dominated colonialists destroyed the druids in britain, [they never got to ireland until the quisling st patrick did thier dirty work. ]celtic druid learning lived on in its occult schools ,then after the romans left,came the saxon invasions and along with them saxon witchcraft.those two joined together in britain .....and along with another mystery religion,an ecological christology, that came from palestine,formed first at glastonbury ...the celtic christchurch... which inspite of roman catholic perseution ,has continued to exist to this day......druidism,whicthcraft and the cosmic christ are the roots of our western culture not christianity...it is alien and anti christ [jesus was never a christian!!!!] the mother goddess is not just a woman,she is the eternal ,the womb,of all creation,femiininty is the quality that makes for sophistication and civilisation .spiritual ecology goes beyond the physical ,mental limitations ......its is only comprehended by feelling!!!! it is the cosmic consciousness;..the mother goddess:

Originally posted by moongarden

There are many scientifically documented cases where perfectly 'normal' people have decided not to catch a plane at the last minute only for the plane they should have been on to crash. Often when interviewed they explain that they had a sense of forbodeing about the flight.

If I remember correctly this was a statistical survey of passenger cancellation rates, including those on crashed, hijacked or or disaster prone flights.

A significant deviation turned up on a significant number of doomed flights. Don't remember interviews being a part of that study though.

I've looked for a link but come up empty - anyone?

Guest Ant

Dragon, you said that "Magik[c] does not even try to explain". That wouldn't be because there's sod all to explain, would it? Let's face it, it's a blatant cop out that could be used by anyone defending a lie. I have asked you already what physical effect you could bring to bear on me, and I am still waiting for an answer. Put your money where your mouth is. Can you give me a common cold this weekend? If not, what exactly can you do? Anyone can make ridiculous claims that they are followers of The Ancient Law, and rattle off appropriate buzz words like magik, the craft, the art and so on. Cease the irrelevant waffle and produce the goods.

A significant deviation turned up on a significant number of doomed flights. Don't remember interviews being a part of that study though.

I've looked for a link but come up empty - anyone?

That sounds more up my street. I'd very much appreciate a link as well.

Hot air I may be full of JBee, but I was quoting and answering a question so tralalah! The rest of your post is about as interesting as something not very interesting, and with about as much effect.

Anyone out there hwo wants to believe or disbelieve is free to do so as far as I am concerned. You ask for opinions and ideas and you get what you ask for.

The cop out Ant is in how you read what I typed. I was not saying magik does not explain that something works, or anything similar - I was stating that magik does not seek to explain WHY something has worked. Science tries to explain why the light comes on when we press the switch - Magik is just glad that it does without the explanation. I agree though - I honestly do not think anything including magik can explain WHY.

You have asked for proof that magik works. Well of course it does as it is all around you, but if you would rather not believe then that is your business. If I cast a spell to make you break your leg then something must make your leg break that cannot be explained away which is pretty damned difficult if your mind is set on not believing. You may trip and fall and break it; a car may hit you and break it; it may just break due to a defect in the bone - how do you prove it was magik that did the job?

If you get a common cold this weekend then you are just like thousands of other people who get colds. Just recently got rid of a cold myself. Was not magik either in me catching a cold or in the cure --- at least I don't think so. I could be wrong.

You know where my shop is. Pop in and we'll see what misfortune can be arranged to follow you. Simple as that.

But then - anything that happens to you will just be an accident or coincidence or other such. If you would rather not believe then don't. That is your choice and you are free to make it.

Now you do what magik cannot and tell me WHY.

Dragon