Agencies/landlords that don't do a credit check

basically when i was 19 i was young and immature and got a loan out which ended up resulting in a CCJ and me paying back a bit at a time every month, well its totally ruined my credit rating and now im 24, grown up with a pretty good job and wanting to move out, the only problem is, sheffield property shop just wont give me a look in cos im not coming out of prison, on drugs or from another country, and everytime i view a property with an agency, they always want to put me through a credit check, and with most checks been 150 quid i dont want to risk it to get the fail comeback.

i just really need my own place, outgrowing the parents house, and just want a landlord who doesnt do such checks, i earn 1,200 a month, and have money saved up. its a shame that a silly mistake i did as a kid is still ruining me. I know once i get a flat, then rent will be paid on time, and i can well afford my own place, just getting over this obstacle really

Edited by sufc1889

You'll find private landlords don't charge much more than cost which can be anything from £15 for a basic check to £50 for a more detailed check.

As a private landlord I'd be more willing to let you a property if you were honest about previous CCJs etc on your application but would still run a credit check as it gives more information than just previous credit issues. IMHO I'd be more concerned any landlord not carrying out the checks.

You could offer a few extra months rent up front as well as your bond and if you can provide a guarantor, someone to legally cover your rent in the event you cannot pay, then you become a safer bet.

.....and the team you support makes you even more credible ;)

You'll find private landlords don't charge much more than cost which can be anything from £15 for a basic check to £50 for a more detailed check.

As a private landlord I'd be more willing to let you a property if you were honest about previous CCJs etc on your application but would still run a credit check as it gives more information than just previous credit issues. IMHO I'd be more concerned any landlord not carrying out the checks.

You could offer a few extra months rent up front as well as your bond and if you can provide a guarantor, someone to legally cover your rent in the event you cannot pay, then you become a safer bet.

I take the same view as Chip, several of my tenants have had a less than perfect credit score but they had been honest about the circumstances from the outset so it was no surprise to find something on a credit check. I do credit & reference check all y tenants but it is not the sole mechanism I use to make my decision. I use my own judgement and how I feel the tenant fits the property as most of my tenants are long term.

If you can offer a home owning guarantor you are much better placed to overcome any credit check hiccups.

What excactly would a credit check show up that wasnt credit related....

It goes beyond a credit history. It also verifies the tenants ID and does an affordability check.

It might also verify the data subject's landline telephone number, presence on Electoral Roll, etc.

There are alot of landlords that dont do credit checks , I have never been asked for one, and if i had i would have refused, ( if they want to do one and you dont mind, let them pay, as its them that want it ! )

It has nothing to do with landlords and they dont need to know your credit history, and even after they get the info, it does not mean you will be a good tenant or pay rent regular or even look after the property.

all they need is proof who you are and that you can pay the rent, if that is not enough move to next property advert,

there are also alot of landlords that will let you off with rent in advance,

and some that will let you pay bonds over a couple of months sometimes more. and some will even drop the bond or just ask for a token payment

Just a reminder for all you that are renting or going to rent. THEY need your MONEY.

If they cant get a tenant they are losing money and it leaves the property at risk as no one is in it, they may say they dont mind, but they do,

they take loans/mortgages to buy properties, and it is there income.

There are alot of landlords that dont do credit checks , I have never been asked for one, and if i had i would have refused, ( if they want to do one and you dont mind, let them pay, as its them that want it ! )

Yes; after all, L does not necessarily have to obtain T's consent to investigate T's credit-worthiness.

A landlords credit check also does a tenant verification check. So perhaps if landlords say they need to do a tenant verification check for obvious reasons then unknown to the tenant the landlord will also get a credit check?

Taking a tenants word that they say that they are whoever and that they work at wherever and earn loads is stupid. There are con merchants out there and a landlord needs to protect themselves. Just common sense really. I do charge for Tenant verification checks up front but if the tenant is successful I give them their money back. It,s the chancers that lose out.

Yes; after all, L does not necessarily have to obtain T's consent to investigate T's credit-worthiness.

as said, l can pay for there own check, no problem, i dont see the need where i should pay as a tenant.

A landlords credit check also does a tenant verification check. So perhaps if landlords say they need to do a tenant verification check for obvious reasons then unknown to the tenant the landlord will also get a credit check?

Taking a tenants word that they say that they are whoever and that they work at wherever and earn loads is stupid. There are con merchants out there and a landlord needs to protect themselves. Just common sense really. I do charge for Tenant verification checks up front but if the tenant is successful I give them their money back. It,s the chancers that lose out.

as said in my post proof of who you are and ability to pay that i provide,

but i dont accept credit checks on me, my choice and quite afew other i know tenants dont have this done,

Just a reminder for all you that are renting or going to rent. THEY need your MONEY.

If they cant get a tenant they are losing money and it leaves the property at risk as no one is in it, they may say they dont mind, but they do,

they take loans/mortgages to buy properties, and it is there income.

Then again if push comes to shove it'd be easier for them to sell an empty property than to sell one with a non paying existing tennant...