The Brew House-What's happening?

Went in Friday night, dont think Ill be bothering again. Noisy. Very, very noisy, thanks to the gleaming white tiles everywhere.

Only 2 bar staff on even though the bar was 3 deep, took 15 minutes to get served. Beer range was nothing special, fancied trying the Camden pale but it was off, so settled for Thornbridge Twin peaks (£5.50 a pint, pretty sure its at least a quid less than that over the road in the Bath Hotel).

Tables too close together and crammed in, impossible to move once you got sat down when the place is busy.

Ended up just having one and going down the road to the Dev Cat for a pint of Founders All Day IPA instead.

I'm here now... Quiet, which I like, reckon the acoustics could be bad when it's busy though.

No TV s for football then?

Planning on visiting town to watch match tomorrow. Hop looks best bet. Might get to Rutland if they`ve still got Evil Empire....

They do have TVs actually Jemmo. Tho of course there was no football on Friday to confirm they actually showed it.

And yeah sorry it was 3 deep at the bar. That would have been our lot on the leaving do. Clearly the place hadn't expected it.

I'm with everyone on price though - it's clearly not somewhere to go all night. I winced when I realised how much I'd spent! But it's probably a stop off place I'll use on the way to / from Dev Green. Just as I treat Brewdog.

Thanks Dan. I might pop in this evening then and have a look.

I popped in with a couple of mates Monday night. It's an absolutely fantastic little bar. The decor is top notch, the beer selection is dynamite and the staff were friendly. You can see the tuns out the back too, which is nice.

I thought the test ales were a great idea too. 4 ales that are in development. Whichever is most popular goes into full production.

I'll be returning regularly. :)

Generally the CAMRA bores will only tell you something is good or not based upon the condition of the beer. And give bonus points for whether it was served in lined, oversize glasses. I, on the other hand, will tell you it's not very good simply cos it tastes cr*p.

There's a big difference between serving a good beer and serving a bad beer well which seems to escape many. This is why the likes of Brewdog will no longer do cask. It relies too much on the quality of the cellarman, rather than the quality of the beer.

There is also a great deal of difference between Champagne and Asti Spumante. Whist I'm sure that there is good and bad Champagne and good and bad Asti. There is no Asti that can compare to an averagely good Champage and certainly nothing approaching a good one.

I seem to remember Watneys giving up real ale for keg some years ago. Do you remember the Monty Python scetch abourt Watney's Red Barrel ? By the way, watever happened to Watneys?

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 17:15 ----------

First visit this weekend. Their own brews look promising but the kegs.

£6.60 I think they said for a pint of Flying Dog IPA - well that is just bonkers city center or not. Jaipur Key £5 something they said - in my local it is £3.90.

My local sells superb real Jaipur at £3.00/pint. It is probably the best pint available in Sheffield. (well Dronfield actually) Those guys are just taking the mickey.

I popped in on Tuesday.

We thought the bar was really nice inside, clearly has some BrewDog influence. Glad I had a heads up about the price of the keg stuff though my mate paid whatever the Punk IPA cost after the Flying Dog ones he wanted to try were both unavailable.

I tried a Raw beer but knew from the niff it was `off` so I had another cask half which was fair at best. With the test brews, there was no indication as to what sort of beer each was, only the ABV! And the barmaid wasn`t in the know. Love the beer periodic table in tiles on the wall though!

IWith the test brews, there was no indication as to what sort of beer each was, only the ABV! And the barmaid wasn`t in the know. Love the beer periodic table in tiles on the wall though!

in a sense, there's a lot of indication what sort of beers they are - if you know the 'code'!

Each beer has the bitterness in IBU and colour (just to be different they use SRM where we use EBC!) - this tells me far more about the beer than the ABV which is all most brewers tell you! If nothing else though, it would be good if the clip told you that's what the numbers were rather than having to refer to a chart.

For me though, the numbers just told me I was unlikely to enjoy the beers - I look for SRMs/EBCs in single digits, and when I saw the IBU numbers I knew they really wouldn't be for me - stick a '0' on the end of their numbers and we might be getting somewhere!

in a sense, there's a lot of indication what sort of beers they are - if you know the 'code'!

Each beer has the bitterness in IBU and colour (just to be different they use SRM where we use EBC!) - this tells me far more about the beer than the ABV which is all most brewers tell you! If nothing else though, it would be good if the clip told you that's what the numbers were rather than having to refer to a chart.

For me though, the numbers just told me I was unlikely to enjoy the beers - I look for SRMs/EBCs in single digits, and when I saw the IBU numbers I knew they really wouldn't be for me - stick a '0' on the end of their numbers and we might be getting somewhere!

I only saw the ABV on the clip tbh.

I only saw the ABV on the clip tbh.

like I say, they don't make it very clear. there's a number in the top left to tell you the style, there's a number bottom centre for the IBU, and bottom right is colour in SRM. but as none of them even tell you what they represent let alone what they mean, without the 'Beeriodic Table' they're next to useless...

Jesus this place is a disaster.

The aforementioned house brews are undecipherable, but the big problem is the key keg. The entire point of keg is that it allows you to get interesting stuff from further afield.

What do they have here? The most dull and uninspired beer from all of the most dull and uninspiring 'craft' brewers. Either they haven't a clue or are trying it on.

No wonder its always dead.

I'd be surprised if it lasts another 12 months unless it bucks its ideas up.

The owner needs to pop to the Rutland or Broadfield or even the Brewdog to see how this beer selection malarkey is done.

Jesus this place is a disaster.

The aforementioned house brews are undecipherable, but the big problem is the key keg. The entire point of keg is that it allows you to get interesting stuff from further afield.

What do they have here? The most dull and uninspired beer from all of the most dull and uninspiring 'craft' brewers. Either they haven't a clue or are trying it on.

No wonder its always dead.

I'd be surprised if it lasts another 12 months unless it bucks its ideas up.

The owner needs to pop to the Rutland or Broadfield or even the Brewdog to see how this beer selection malarkey is done.

Just head next door to Henry's. It's not perfect but it's still much better and it's not trying too hard to appear to be "craft".

The problem is that the 'craft' doesn't rotate and it's very expensive. It's a real shame as this place had the potential to be the 'new' Sheffield Tap, but has ended up being not even as good. You might as well carry on down the hill to the Rutland. At least they have the beer to match the cost. Siren takeover weekend was bloody phenomenal.