Living on the Northfield Road, Crookes

Hi There,

The houses on the left going downhill are probably a bit more protected from the road being that little bit futher away from the road but I think it is a lovely road to live on!

My parents still live there and I have friends who live there too.

The only downside I suppose is the parking (clearway) but the frequency of buses, good local shops with other shops at Walkley, Hillsborough and Broomhill make this a good area to live.

I would move back tomorrow if someone would come and pack my boxes!

Hope you soon settle in your new home

mumsy xx

Edited by mumsy

Sorry - should say that I lived there too for 20years.

Yes it is a busy road but has a lot less cars parked when it is not the clearway than other side roads. Just walk down Western Rd/Heavygate in an evening and you will be lucky if you can park outside your own house if at all.

To be honest with the traffic you do get used to the noise after a short while and you tend not to notice it-the only thing that makes me look up when I am visiting is the grit wagons in winter as the flashing lights gets your attention.

Houses closest to the road only have small back gardens whereas the ones set back with a garden at the front also have a good garden area at the back. But the closeness of the Bolehills is great to take children too and as they get older and able to go unsupervised they will love finding the rocks, BMX track and fantastic sledging in the winter.

Sunsets on the Bolehills can be pretty spectacular too.

Local primary schools include Westways, Lydgate, Walkley Primary, St Marys or Broomhill (is Morley St still open?) and they feed into King Edwards, Tapton and the new Forge Valley.

Also from this location you are 5 mins drive from Rivelin and easy access out to Castleton, Hope, Bamford etc-such lovely countryside is right on your doorstep!

I think there are a lot less students around now-a lot of what had become student houses have gone back to family homes so I think its great that families want to live in this road.

It is not leafy like some with the trees overhanging the roads such as Western Rd but that makes seeing whats happening in the road much easier especially if there were to be someone suspicious hanging about.

I would definately recommend it!

mumsy

xx