Pay and display machine in Millhouses Park

I could understand them doing this ESPECIALLY in Graves Park which has nowhere near enough parking spaces on a busy summers day. Except like others have said, I cannot see that they will make any money out of it. Its going to cost a lot more to police and maintain than the money generated.

Chances are the meters will be vandalised almost immediately.

Will they be putting in CCTV as well to at least be able to see who vandalises the meters?

There is the annual meeting of the Friends of Millhouses park tomorrow, 28th June in the Park Cafe from 19.30

A representative from Sheffield City Council, Michelle Gane, will be there to speak about the imposition of car parking charges, for a whole 2 minutes, from 20.00

I suggest that anyone elso who is opposed to the scheme, get themselves to this meeting, and make their feelings about it known.

I'm much more bothered about the inconvenience than the cost. P&D is a pain when you have kids to manage (especially when they have worked out how to escape). Would be happier to pay a higher fixed price for a permit and to support the parks a bit more.

Another concern is the management of this. I hope they don't go down the route of private car parks with spurious charges and threatening letters. If they are allowed to use the council enforcement powers, I hope they do it proportionately (i.e. without the penalties you might need to enforce short-stay on-street parking).

I wondered how long before the politics of Envy hijacked this . . .

The park is open to everybody, there are plenty of deprived areas close by, and plenty of people who come from all over to use it. Because it is for everybody and is already paid for by everybody from the council tax.

They will probably do the same in Firth Park, Graves Park and Hillsborough park if we don't complain.

its not envy its a fact, guess where the start of the roads improvment program is due to start?? if it hasnt already, the juntion of springfield road and abbeydale road.

even now they are fully resurfacing the whole road, i dont know about you but i thought that compared to nearly all the other roads in sheffield that particulate one was in great condition.

so why start at the "RICH END OF TOWN". ? could it be that most of the people with influence live or commute using that road?? makes you think dont it

i think its about time that the so called rich were made to pay a bit for that park, the public parks where i am have had no way need the same amount of public money spent on them, Eg, longley, parsons cross, burngreave, why should all the limited investment be concentrated on the rich southern end of sheffield??

So I suppose you'll be telling us now that Hillsborough is full of rich millionaires who should pay more too, and give us an example of the vast amounts of public money spent on Hillsborough Park too?

Or maybe not.

AGM Today, Millhouses Park 7.30 pm.

A representative from SCC attending.

If this is something which concerns you then make yourself heard!

In the case of Graves Park it will be like the days when there were many thriving Sunday football leagues. It will be a nightmare for those householders on Derbyshire Lane as cars will park nose to tail and on the grass verges leading up to the park.

i think its about time that the so called rich were made to pay a bit for that park, the public parks where i am have had no way need the same amount of public money spent on them, Eg, longley, parsons cross, burngreave, why should all the limited investment be concentrated on the rich southern end of sheffield??

Sorry, but Millhouses Park has had very little council investment. All the recent improvements have come from money raised by the Friends of Millhouses Park and not from Sheffield City Rate Payers :)

** For your information, the agenda of the AGM has been altered and Car Parking Charges will now be discussed at the start of the meeting at 19:30.**

Sorry, but Millhouses Park has had very little council investment. All the recent improvements have come from money raised by the Friends of Millhouses Park and not from Sheffield City Rate Payers :)

Which seems to be the case with a lot of parks.

Friend of Herdings Park worked hard to get money for all the improvements that have been made over the last few years. Yet once they finally were finished, the council seemed awfully happy to take credit for it. At least that is the impression I got.

Granted, some of the money DID come from the council, but what happened to them making improvements to the parks off their own bat? By that of course I do not mean adding parking meters.

Edited by AlexAtkin

The council has to find savings somewhere, those choosing to use a car park attached to the park, which is a facility above and beyond the park, surely cannot complain at contributing a token fee to fund the maintainance of that facility so more important council services don't have to be cut?

For those that live too far away from their local park to walk....

Millhouses park has buses every few minutes past every gate (routes 4,87,97,98,218 ).

Herdings Park has its own tram terminal as well as the terminus of the high frequency 47/48 bus next to it.

Given the reduction in government funds the council receives as part of the Condems debt reduction programme, what council service do you suggested is cut to pay for free parking to continue - maybe sack a few teachers or close a library?

As most folk will simply park on the road there will very likely not be a return over and above the cost of running the scheme. Perhaps if the last Labour Government hadn't run up such massive debts during the times of plenty you wouldn't be having to blame the current government for this council's act of total stupidity.

The council has to find savings somewhere, those choosing to use a car park attached to the park, which is a facility above and beyond the park, surely cannot complain at contributing a token fee to fund the maintainance of that facility so more important council services don't have to be cut?

For those that live too far away from their local park to walk....

Millhouses park has buses every few minutes past every gate (routes 4,87,97,98,218 ).

Herdings Park has its own tram terminal as well as the terminus of the high frequency 47/48 bus next to it.

Suggesting people don't use the car parks whilst defending the charges is a pretty ill thought out argument.

Edited by polo mint