Looking for a plumber to advise/quote on over bath shower issues!

Hi folks,

We currently have a poorly functioning mixer shower running off of our bath taps. I say poorly functioning in that it is unusable, the cold completely over powers the hot so you either have a scolding shower with minimal power or a freezing one that blasts out.

We're looking for a plumber to come and take a look at it and find out whether the issues with (I assume) the pressure can be resolved, or alternatively, if we need to look at having an electric shower fitted. Obviously with an electric shower it would be a completely new installation as we have no wires/pipes/circuits set up for one and I am definitely a bit twitchy about having holes knocked in my bathroom wall. :hihi:

Again with it being a new installation we need someone registered with the competent persons scheme for Part P planning.

If anyone could help us out please feel free to drop me a PM or email to happy_hoppers@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers :D

Hi, it sounds like you have a conventional (tank fed) hot water system and the hot supply to the shower is gravity fed and the cold is mains fed. This is why the cold overpowers the hot. The hot should be fed from the cylinder so the pressures are equal. Without looking at the job, it's impossible to say whether this can be rectified without damage to the bathroom. If the cold is connected in the loft where the tanks are located, it could be a straightforward job to connect the cold shower feed into the tank to provide a balanced supply.

Thanks for your response.

My DH confirms there are two tanks in the loft, would the natural assumption be that one is hot and one is cold?

Would you be interested in coming out to take a look/provide a quote? If so drop me a PM and we'll give you a ring.

A pressure reducing valve can be fitted to the cold supply to the bath which should solve the problem. This would probably require the least disruption, and be the quickest fix. However in my experience this solution will give you a balanced but low flow rate shower. I'd personally bite the bullet and have an electric shower fitted. Electric showers offer a good bathing back up in the event of your boiler / hot water supply failing.