Published a Book?

bimbleinn - I' not the person to advise you - I have been lucky to have pieces in Seff Telegraph and Star newspaper plus interview on Radio Sheff. but orders have not come thick and fast..I'm approaching Waterstones but have been told the financial returns are not good.

I received my first review on Amazon today:

"It's a skilfully crafted story about lawyers..."

'Boopers Tale' now on Kindle, through Amazon and should be on shelves Waterstones, Meadowhall Sheffield by week-end...Report in last weeks Rotherham Advertiser and same in Worksop Guardian this coming week...sales througbn Amazon pretty good.

I received my first review on Amazon today:

"It's a skilfully crafted story about lawyers..."

Congrats! Reviews and sales are what it's all about :)

Hi There

I was hoping someone in this tread may be able to help me.

I have recently sent letters out to certain people and organisations who would help me publish my book if i could write it!

The book is personally about me and dyslexia...so i am looking for a writer...

Any ideas where i can find one to start the ball rolling

Thanks

Ruby - I wrote my book 'Boopers Tale'under 'strange' circumstances...I was serving 5 years in Prison having been convicted of being a corrupt Copper!!!! My problem was not writing it ( in 1984) but trying to publish because nowadays publishers don't want to know unless you are already established as a well--known author... I eventually self-published a few months ago ( book had lain in a drawer for nearly 30 years).and it was printed by a company in Eastbourne. It means a financial gamble to the writer but if you confident of sales then go for it...my book 333 pages cost me £700 for first 100 copies and now I've just had another 500 printed - good luck

'Boopers Tale - story of my life including period as a 'bent' copper selling well on Amazon Kindle and in Waterstones Meadowhall....In response to recent piece in Rotherham Advertiser newspaper 2 ex-coppers felt inclined to send letters to Editor 'slagging' me off...one of them was named - my reply to him would be that I would have considered his comments if they had been written by a 'real' Policeman...

SarahD,

I totally agree with you on this:

'However, if you want to query large publishers I would suggest you get an agent first (which is not easy). Most large publishers won't accept unsolicited queries and will only speak to agents. Also most agents prefer you to send work once it's completed and then they take their sweet time getting back to you (I've still not heard back from one I queried about 6 months ago). Unfortunately that's the way it is for traditional publishing.'

And if you can actually find a literary agent, they'll charge you a small fortune. But I'd like to add something else here:

I've just finished working on a hand-written manuscript - heavy editing, proofreading, copy-editing, compiling prelims, formatting, cover design and everything required to get it ready for printing. Without all this work, the manuscript would have gone nowhere, so remember that it's vital that spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, formatting of dialogue (and any quotes or references used) are correct. If this isn't up to scratch, your book may not appear to be worth reading.

(I am a trained proofreader and copy-editor.)

Edited by Vermillion
removed extraneous text

Sarah - just before this Xmas had a tel call from Scottish publisher saying he had found my letter 'sent in Jan2012' re my book - wrote to many publishers but got nowhere....so I self-published..he has asked for copy of book but I have been told to wait more than 6 weeks before I'll get answer...would be good if he took me...have started 2nd book about my time as a an ex-cop in prison but with the first book I had over 40 years of tales - this book is only about tales in just under 3years...thanks for advice...

SarahD,

I totally agree with you on this:

'However, if you want to query large publishers I would suggest you get an agent first (which is not easy). Most large publishers won't accept unsolicited queries and will only speak to agents. Also most agents prefer you to send work once it's completed and then they take their sweet time getting back to you (I've still not heard back from one I queried about 6 months ago). Unfortunately that's the way it is for traditional publishing.'

And if you can actually find a literary agent, they'll charge you a small fortune. But I'd like to add something else here:

I've just finished working on a hand-written manuscript - heavy editing, proofreading, copy-editing, compiling prelims, formatting, cover design and everything required to get it ready for printing. Without all this work, the manuscript would have gone nowhere, so remember that it's vital that spelling, grammar, punctuation, syntax, formatting of dialogue (and any quotes or references used) are correct. If this isn't up to scratch, your book may not appear to be worth reading.

(I am a trained proofreader and copy-editor.)

Good luck with your writing Vermillion.

Ooh, I sound a bit bitter in that old post of mine! I didn't mean it to sound quite that bad. I would still sign with an agent if I had the opportunity. They do have a function in the publishing world.

I agree about the editing. I've been using beta readers to keep costs down. But I would like to employ a professional editor when I'm a bit better off financially.

It's important to make your book the best it can possibly be, and writing is a collaborative process!

---------- Post added 20-02-2013 at 15:15 ----------

Sarah - just before this Xmas had a tel call from Scottish publisher saying he had found my letter 'sent in Jan2012' re my book - wrote to many publishers but got nowhere....so I self-published..he has asked for copy of book but I have been told to wait more than 6 weeks before I'll get answer...would be good if he took me...have started 2nd book about my time as a an ex-cop in prison but with the first book I had over 40 years of tales - this book is only about tales in just under 3years...thanks for advice...

I've not checked in for a while - this is great! Just be careful, there are some nasty vanity publishers out there. Maybe query an agent? They might help negotiate a contract. Good luck with it!

I've recently published my second book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Vanished-Blemished-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00B76P2KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361373119&sr=8-1

And I paid for some advertising from bookbub - http://www.bookbub.com/home/ they are pricey but worth it. I made my money back within the day. Basically, they send your deal out to their email subscribers. Have a look on their website, the details are there. Of all the advertising things I've seen for self published books, this is definitely the best one.

But I think their readers are American, so it would work best for Kindle books.

Hope you're all well :)

SarahD,

The hand-written manuscript I mentioned was a book I was working on as a professional proofreader/editor/project manager for a client. (I do have a cert. in creative writing but I prefer to work with the 'nuts and bolts' of writing.)

I don't think you sound bitter in that older post, just realistic.

I agree that you have to be very careful about vanity publishers, subsidy publishers. If you do use one, be absolutely clear about what you are getting for your money - exactly how much they can/will do for you - and weigh up whether what they charge reflects this.

What a great thread.

I have just finished my book which is titled “Only Bloody Lovely.” The characters are fictional, but the events depicted are real. It’s based primarily in Sheffield with visits to Wales, Liverpool and Darlington. The book is currently in the proof reading stage.

I have been looking into getting it in print through http://www.completelynovel.com/

Unless anyone as any better ideas I could steal.

Simon