Thursday Badminton - Your Opinions Please.

What should happen to our thursday club nights?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to our thursday club nights?

• Competitive session at Ponds Forge
    • Social session at Ponds Forge (like tuesdays)
    • Competitive session at concord or goodwin
    • Social session at concord or goodwin (like a tuesday)
    • cancel thursdays
    • other (put a post below with you suggestion)

We're looking at a relaunch of our Thursday night badminton sessions as a result of recent low numbers. We are currently making a loss from the sessions so need to come to a decision on whether we want Thursday sessions in the future, and whether they should differ in nature to Tuesday nights (i.e. should they be for more competitive badminton) or not.

We'd like to hear both from those who play regularly on Thursday nights and those who might be interested in starting to play on a Thursday. We need to decide on where people would prefer the sessions to be (Ponds Forge, Concord, Goodwin or other suggestions welcome) and whether people want to continue with sessions covering the costs between those playing. Let us know what you think either via this thread, our Facebook page, the SFBC email sfbc@live.co.uk or by talking to or contacting one of the committee members.

While we wait for your feedback regarding Thursday nights, sessions will continue on one court at Concord. If there are fewer than 5 players, we would like to suggest that those playing cover the costs of the court hire.

Thanks.

for those reading about this here, theres a large discussion on the facebook group regarding this too.

Four people have voted here. Four. 4. That's not nearly enough.

COME ON PEOPLE!!!!! GET VOTING.

Scrap Thursdays, block book all of Ponds for Tuesdays, allocate two courts for competitive

games.

just sayin, this seems pointless. since the agm, the competitive label has been removed.

pretty much everyone said they'd wanna go to a 'second tuesday'

if this is the case, why are we even debating this? its already over and done with.

the people who went to the amg, those who care most about the club voted. that was the outcome. however, since then, i've seen one new face on a thursday. people are clearly saying one thing and doing another on this one!

i personally like playing the competative games more than the other games. playing against week players makes me feel awkward; i tone down my game, and they know it - therefore they feel awkward or i play my best and they then become 'coconuts'.

on another note, if anyone ever wanted any coaching tips, pointers, advice... i'm more than happy to try my best to help them in anyway i can. i've lent one or 2 players one of my rackets, so they can 'see' the difference between a poor racket and a better racket.

i'd quite happliy stand on court for half an hour, every tuesday/thursday practicing serves/clears/flat drives/smashes/backhands with anyone else that's interested?

like i've said before - i see peoples forum names, and i havent got a clue who they are sometimes? i also can't attend the pub afterwards due to work the next day. so getting to know people isn't easy. also with the ability thing, people seem have this preconcepton that because i'm a good player i'm some kind of elitist maybe?! who knows!

maybe if people put thier name in there forum sig or even name and photo, like i did could help, so at least we know who we're talking to!

Edited by mr_william

We're looking at a relaunch of our Thursday night badminton sessions as a result of recent low numbers. We are currently making a loss from the sessions so need to come to a decision on whether we want Thursday sessions in the future, and whether they should differ in nature to Tuesday nights (i.e. should they be for more competitive badminton) or not.

We'd like to hear both from those who play regularly on Thursday nights and those who might be interested in starting to play on a Thursday. We need to decide on where people would prefer the sessions to be (Ponds Forge, Concord, Goodwin or other suggestions welcome) and whether people want to continue with sessions covering the costs between those playing. Let us know what you think either via this thread, our Facebook page, the SFBC email sfbc@live.co.uk or by talking to or contacting one of the committee members.

While we wait for your feedback regarding Thursday nights, sessions will continue on one court at Concord. If there are fewer than 5 players, we would like to suggest that those playing cover the costs of the court hire.

Thanks.

I like that it has been opened up to everybody however with there being six different options and we can only vote for one you will only be satisfying a very minority crowd.

I think the committee should make the decision for the best interests of the club?

Some comments on Facebook seem to have come from people who don't and aren't interested in playing on Thursday's, which is not what Gareth has asked for. That's why I think the committee should make the decision before we end up taking 'transparency' too far and making the job more of a nightmare for the committee.

If I can fight the corner for Concord in Shiregreen or to move it to one of the schools in the area which are much much cheaper.

I got us two press releases in the star worth over 8k in advertising value last year because of the Guinness World Record.

My vote goes for a Social club encouraging competitive players.

Edited by alko27

I'm a pretty new member and I guess a sort of 'middling' player (but maybe I'm flattering myself there!). I've not been able to go to the Thursday's yet but was intending to when I get a chance. I quite like the idea of it being more competitive because I like being pushed, but I guess for someone in my position I've just wondered in the past whether I'd end up being too far off the pace and ruining what otherwise would be a pretty high standard. But like I say, i've just been planning on giving it a go and if it turns out that I couldn't play to a decent enough standard I'd just put it down to experience (and especially so now it isn't labelled as "competitive" so that pressure isn't there).

But as Will says above, it sort of makes itself - especially since being relabelled. So on balance I'd like to keep the Thursday's, and I'll try to get along there more often myself.

As for the coaching tips - I'd very gratefully receive any that were going. Other than a few dodgy school PE lessons more than 20 years ago I've just played with mates so haven't ever really figured out what I'm doing in any proper sense, and there are times when i know that shows up in my game now.

I'm pretty neutral about the location tbh, but if it's getting the numbers in that is the main concern it does seem (based on my limited experience) that PF tends to attract more people. But that's based on about an n=6 sample of my attendance, so not terribly scientific.

So that's my two cents, seeing as you asked for it!

Thanks for all the feedback. A decision will be made by the committee regarding Thursday sessions at the beginning of July. We'll take into account the feedback and make our decision based on what is best for the club as a whole. We have 1 court (8-9.30) each Thursday at Concord in the mean time.

Tuesdays work well, so we'll not be making any changes to this - other than to maybe better advertise the pub :-)

We'll also get some socials organised !

sfbc@live.co.uk

How about a mix of social and competitive? So designate courts to both then people have the option. Personally I don't play well enough to do competitive but if there's not enough interest for a purely competitive night maybe a joint session would work, as I'd be keen for another social night.