Nip tops off runner beans?

My runner beans have reached the top of canes (about 6 foot) do I nip the tops off or let them grow, Thankyou

nip tops off at about five foot for six foot canes (the sods keep growing) it makes the plants branch more from the leaf joints. No real harm in letting them grow they will fruit out of picking range, unless you are a pro basketball player.

thanks for your reply...68 viewers and you're the only reply, its the first time i have grown them as i am a novice...thankyou

Edited by arrodbo
spelling

thanks for your reply...68 viewers and you're the only reply, its the first time i have grown them as i am a novice...thankyou

That's because the rest of us hate you for having 5 foot tall runner beans ;) Mine are barely 6 inches tall and fighting a losing battle with the slugs :(

mine are about three feet high, third attempt this year, frosts and slugs have defeated me so far , i nip tops off beans in general seems to help growth further down stalk , but as i am a haphazard veg grower i generally miss some and it doesn't seem to make so much difference.

That's because the rest of us hate you for having 5 foot tall runner beans ;) Mine are barely 6 inches tall and fighting a losing battle with the slugs :(

Mine are growing well cause I am ex Sheffielder living in Cornwall!!!

always find i get heavier crops if top is pinched at top of canes.also i grow a lot of the black climbing beans and these have been doing better in the cold than the green ones.they turn green in cooking and we find them more tasty

Mine are allmost ready for nipping out as well................and I'm not in Cornwall. :wink:

Mine are about 2ft and keep getting battered by the wind :(