I can't sleep - birds in the attic! Advice please.

I doubt the cat would be prosecuted. Getting it into handcuffs would be too difficult.

However, for the hard of thinking, if you have birds nesting inside your house and if you acquired a cat for the purpose of destroying that nest in your house then you will have done something illegal.

Of course you will have! Now you do as nurse tells you and go back to bed.

Of course you will have! Now you do as nurse tells you and go back to bed.

Not quite sure what you and Regatta are trying to prove here other than a feeble attempt at a wind up and making yourselves look a bit ignorant. I was just giving some information as given to me by the RSPB when I contacted them for some help. I needed to clarify what the legal position was with regard to birds nests and this is what I was sent:

"All birds nests are protected by law and it is illegal to intentionally disturb or destroy the active nest of any wild bird. Any work to deny birds access to a roof ideally should be carried out during the winter months..... If the birds are starlings then they are usually finished nesting by the end of May and house sparrows are usually finished by the end of August. "

Not quite sure what you and Regatta are trying to prove here other than a feeble attempt at a wind up and making yourselves look a bit ignorant. I was just giving some information as given to me by the RSPB when I contacted them for some help. I needed to clarify what the legal position was with regard to birds nests and this is what I was sent:

"All birds nests are protected by law and it is illegal to intentionally disturb or destroy the active nest of any wild bird. Any work to deny birds access to a roof ideally should be carried out during the winter months..... If the birds are starlings then they are usually finished nesting by the end of May and house sparrows are usually finished by the end of August. "

Why don't you put this info on twitter. TWEET TWEET. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

To tell you the truth I envy you !. The sound of Sparrows brings back so many childhood memories. They were in abundance years ago and have dramatically declined in numbers over the years. Do them a great favor and let them get on with it. One of the reasons for their decline is the lack of suitable nesting sites, people blocking up their eves and such. They won't be that long in bringing up their young and if you see them leaving the nest you will feel a sense of ' I helped ' in that process. If you have to block it up do it later in the year but as I pointed out earlier I would be happy to have them in my loft ! :)

Had the same thing in my last house (You're not in Norton Lees are you?). Once we knew it wasn't rats, we relaxed a lot. Although we intended to block the hole once they'd gone, we actually got used to it and decided we wouldn't be bothered the next year.

I doubt the cat would be prosecuted. Getting it into handcuffs would be too difficult.However, for the hard of thinking, if you have birds nesting inside your house and if you acquired a cat for the purpose of destroying that nest in your house then you will have done something illegal.

Thumb locks would be better.

My Dad used to have birds in the attic.

I have bats in my eaves. They're great.

Chirping sparrows is a damn sight better than the 'Drum n Bass' blaring out from the student digs across the street. I must be getting grumpy in my old age :-)

Thank you for the genuinely helpful comments and for the time you took to find that information for us.

"Any work to deny birds access to a roof ideally should be carried out during the winter months....."
That's clear then. Get a cat during the winter.

Sparrows are actually quite rare now. Their numbers have declined hugely in recent years.

And it's illegal to disturb nesting birds, apart from those classified as vermin.

Heard birds chirping in my loft at nights for a few weeks now, had a look but couldn't see anything, best to just leave it until they have gone?

Also starting to spot a few mealworm beetles upstairs don't know if it's connected though.

Edited by Winner99