Pay 50% up front for a building job?

hi gnvqsos are you a retired builder ....

No I am not a real builder,nor have I retired,but I am acquainted with the trade and its various personalities.

hi gnvqsos what trade would you like to be ....

Edited by jsmith2009
spelling

Be very careful we work on no payment till completion. seen many customers get ripped off

never read so much nonsense in a thread in the 4 years been using the forum. been a self employed builder 18 years you can not even pay cash on delivery at most builders merchants any more let alone cheque. been stung twice by customers going bust on me costing me £3500 and £15,000 most of these losses where due to the fact that i put materials on my account and thus when i did not get paid i stiil had to settle may accounts. to assume a builder should fund your project for you and carry all the risk is in my opinion not acceptable. you would not go to work and then pay for the priverlidge untill your boss was happy to pay you. we allways ask for a payment the day works commence (normally around 20/30%) then stage payments at pre agreed stages ( these are normally at the building inspection stages)

not all builders are conmen as tv would make you think. best advice is to use a builder that is recomended.

never read so much nonsense in a thread in the 4 years been using the forum. been a self employed builder 18 years you can not even pay cash on delivery at most builders merchants any more let alone cheque. been stung twice by customers going bust on me costing me £3500 and £15,000 most of these losses where due to the fact that i put materials on my account and thus when i did not get paid i stiil had to settle may accounts. to assume a builder should fund your project for you and carry all the risk is in my opinion not acceptable. you would not go to work and then pay for the priverlidge untill your boss was happy to pay you. we allways ask for a payment the day works commence (normally around 20/30%) then stage payments at pre agreed stages ( these are normally at the building inspection stages)

not all builders are conmen as tv would make you think. best advice is to use a builder that is recomended.

Advance for materials is reasonable (even if builder has an account, they're still liable).

The main issue with giving 50% up front is that it removes any incentive for the builder to get on with stuff. Once they've got your money, no-one else is getting the work so they can take their time. Don't hold money back unreasonably, but try to ensure that it's always worth their while to finish the job.

hi gnvqsos what trade would you like to be ....

I would not mind being a carpenter-all the tradesmen tell me it is probably the most simple of the trades,and one that would suit a woman.

I would not mind being a carpenter-all the tradesmen tell me it is probably the most simple of the trades,and one that would suit a woman.

that why most joiners/carpenter become foremans . a thinking man trade we there from the start to finish. i do like your sense of humour at times

My Parents just had a bathroom fitted, and they agreed to pay for the materials ie shower sink and things and to pay the fitting costs when it was complete and they were satisfied with the quality of the work. have the materials delivered direct to you so they cant disapper with them

now that is a good idea. thanks.

If you don't trust the builder don't bother using them.

Pay in stages by all means but I just get sick of customers that try it on when they clearly never had enough money for the work to be carried out in the first place.

see, I had never thought of that, why would people get a builder to order things they had no intention of using? but it obviously happens as your post states.

Get a new builder.

Yes walk away they want payment before they start its a joke . Tell you will pay for materias only and get invoices off them when materials are delivered . Pay builders merchants directly . They are not trying to create a good customer relationship are they. A good builder will always make sure a client is 100percent happy before asking for money . What are you going to do if you give him £1000 and he doesnt turn up On a small job like yours probably a weeks work he should not ask for payment until job completed and you are satisfied with work done