Pay 50% up front for a building job?

thanks.

Its £2000.00 so a £1.000.00

really want the job doing and doing properly but was a bit wary. they are a firm, advertised in the star but I don't know more than that.

Don't do it!

thanks.

Its £2000.00 so a £1.000.00

really want the job doing and doing properly but was a bit wary. they are a firm, advertised in the star but I dont know more than that.

I wouldn't dream of giving them £1000, as said above find another builder

We had an single storey extension done and the cost was £15/16k, we paid £3k at the end of the 1st week and then the rest when the job was finished.

I would look elsewhere.

Guest makapaka
Hi.

is this normal?

having some work done and have been asked to pay 50% up front. would be interested to know what others think.

If they've not yet started work, and you've not given em any money, PM me,I will give you some advice.

I went to a driveway lastnight where the customer paid money up front and the rest before it was completed in cash no receipts! As soon as the car was parked on it it all moved. I got the shovel out of the van to check underneath and there was no sub base just blocks laid on 3" of sand and soil below that it now will have to be all ripped u and redone as they paid upfront with no receipts the guy has done one.

Never ever pay upfront especially on a 2k Job 40k extensions are different and will involve stage payments

Get 3 quotes and check their work and references

Hope this helps

Also don't take it for granted because they advetise in the star they are any good anyone can pay to go in there and they are not vetted.

Maybe try the federation of master builders of the guild of master craftsmen sites to find a builder

................don't do it!! Any builder worth the job will ask for stage payments, and certainly not at the start of a job. I would check them out at once!!

My husband is a builder and they have never asked for money upfront from any of there customers.

All sounds a bit dodgy, maybe I watch too much tv but he sounds like he should be on cowboy builders on 5 there seems to be plenty of builders on there that ask for half up front and do a runner a few days into the build

All sounds a bit dodgy, maybe I watch too much tv but he sounds like he should be on cowboy builders on 5 there seems to be plenty of builders on there that ask for half up front and do a runner a few days into the build

It does sound a bit off, but all these tv shows about rogue builders are getting a bit daft. I wish they would do one about rogue customers who when you get to the end of the job find faults just so they dont have to pay. That is probably why now builders are asking for money upfront.

But I would always say go with a builder that has been recommended.

Hi.

is this normal?

having some work done and have been asked to pay 50% up front. would be interested to know what others think.

I'm a brickie if you want a price, 07984650813