Pay 50% up front for a building job?

Hi.

is this normal?

having some work done and have been asked to pay 50% up front. would be interested to know what others think.

depending how much material is needed and can you trust the builders?i wouldnt be comfortable to pay 50% upfront

How much is it costing? Agree payment stages and get someone independent in to referee if needed.

Hi.

is this normal?

having some work done and have been asked to pay 50% up front. would be interested to know what others think.

Check them out before handing over a single penny....

Generally most builders I have used have taken around 10-25% up front for certain materials and then the rest of the money in intervals as the work continues. I haven't had any work done for the best part of 5 years but I have to admit I find the 50% up front as quoted way too much before any work is undertaken.

Most decent builders buy materials on account unless special materials are required then obviously cash is required but still you need to work on in my opinion what the initial material costs are based on his quote and to start with offer to pay this amount up front as a deposit. You are the customer at the end of the day and he wants your custom therefore don't be afriad to barter and negotiate on terms that suit you both.

Should you have any doubts about the builders previous work / background then you are more than within your rights to request examples of previous projects, it might also be worthwhile contacting other builders for a quick quote for the same work and to ask how much they would expect up front etc, this would give you a greater idea as to what the correct amount might be.

Do not even think about 50% up front, this builder needs to get real.

If they are genuine proven established builders they will have an account with a builders merchant so they will not pay for materials for many weeks.

My advice is walk away and ask around....

depending how much material is needed and can you trust the builders?i wouldnt be comfortable to pay 50% upfront

If the builders need 50% up front forget them.

Stage paymants that are agreed before work starts are a fare way to proceed.

These paymants on say an extension to your house are usualy paid at damp course level. First floor level. Roof on. Then final paymant when job is finished.

These paymants can vary depending on size of job .

I have heard it said in the trade that a reputable builder will not ask for any money up front. Only you can have a gut feeling about him/them if he hasn't got the money or wants security pay him in stages when he has done the job, I have seem people pay upfront and have a terrible job done,

Most builders ask for money upfront for some materials and labour but 50% seems a lot upfront.

thanks.

Its £2000.00 so a £1.000.00

really want the job doing and doing properly but was a bit wary. they are a firm, advertised in the star but I dont know more than that.

Get a new builder.

Do not even think about 50% up front, this builder needs to get real.

If they are genuine proven established builders they will have an account with a builders merchant so they will not pay for materials for many weeks.

My advice is walk away and ask around....

thanks for that.