Anyone worked at KnowHow / Dixons call centre in Sheffield?

Anyone care to update this thread now it is almost four years out of date? I would be interested to hear what the conditions are like there now.

I work tech

good thing about this job, is that when you get the really arsey customers, nobody calls you out for being harsh. They understand that sometimes the only way to get someone to listen is to be firm and put your foot down. Also, training is good. I've learned loads about tech since I started, they took me on even without a GCSE in IT, trained me up, now I'm at least able to SOUND like I know what I'm doing.

If you can deal with stress, go for it. If not, I dunno, go work in daycare or something easy like that

Note: tech also get better pay than most other departments, afaik. Just something to stew on, that.

they took me on even without a GCSE in IT, trained me up, now I'm at least able to SOUND like I know what I'm doing.

And this is why I avoid these companies like the plague :)

No offense to you, but customers expect you to be an expert, the fact that you are aware that at least you sound like you know what you are doing confirms that you are nothing but an expert.

PCWorld, Dell and Curry's muscled out the small independents over the years, but I'd much rather go to a knowledgeable nerd with a shop than buy anything from places like that.

PS - as a recently converted Apple Fanboy - they are not a lot better, just friendlier and better scripted.

My daughter is starting in the technical department soon.

She didn't last long. Workers are timed to the minute on breaks and the shift patterns can be pretty exhausting, Of the fifteen people in her induction only five were left three months on. Staff retention is very poor.

Half the 'tech' work involves booking in things for repair. As for not being knowledgeable enough, the Tech team have their own internal support if they can't resolve the issue so the level of expertise on-hand is excellent. She met some lovely people in her brief time there but some of the first-line managers could do with a lesson in humility.

She didn't last long. Workers are timed to the minute on breaks and the shift patterns can be pretty exhausting, Of the fifteen people in her induction only five were left three months on. Staff retention is very poor.

Half the 'tech' work involves booking in things for repair. As for not being knowledgeable enough, the Tech team have their own internal support if they can't resolve the issue so the level of expertise on-hand is excellent. She met some lovely people in her brief time there but some of the first-line managers could do with a lesson in humility.

Yeah 'tech' gets all the runt work too, they cover every other department when needed aswell....

I worked there years ago

When it was dixions originally and i hated it!!!!

100% This, awful. Worst job I ever had. Think it's only fair to add that this was 16 years ago and was when Dixons had just re-located from Hemel Hempstead. The job was a joke, toilet breaks and lunches times to the second, constant queue of 30 customers waiting to bite your head off.

Edited by Danny_Boy