32470 Sheffielders are on DLA.

DLA is paid to people regardless of whether they work and does not affect any other benefits. And if DLA is supposed to help with public transport why does anybody get it?

DLA isn't meant to help people with just public transport. It's meant to help people partly with mobility problems in general i.e. any form of transport. Most people I know on DLA use taxis or have a motability vehicle because public transport isn't suitable for them. They may be blind or suffer from anxiety which can be made worse on crowded transport. DLA covers other expenses as well. It's intended as compensation for expenses incurred as a result of disabilities. Why chem1st feels the need to stick the boot into disabled people we can only guess.

My sons friend is autistic, he pays for a cineworld card and a carer can go with him for free.

His bus pass is also for himself and a carer.

I have the CEA card, and pay for the Unlimited card every month, so I try to go to Cineworld at least twice a month to get my money's worth out of the £15 a month price tag.

DLA isn't meant to help people with just public transport. It's meant to help people partly with mobility problems in general i.e. any form of transport. Most people I know on DLA use taxis or have a motability vehicle because public transport isn't suitable for them. They may be blind or suffer from anxiety which can be made worse on crowded transport. DLA covers other expenses as well. It's intended as compensation for expenses incurred as a result of disabilities. Why chem1st feels the need to stick the boot into disabled people we can only guess.

Very true, DLA has two components Care and Mobility with separate payments being awarded for each category so a person may qualify for just one or both. Care refers to basic tasks required to look after yourself such as washing, dressing, using the toilet and cooking a meal. Mobility refers to getting out and about outside the house.

Although some disabled people may be able to use public transport for some of their journeys but for most there will be at least some, if not all their journeys have to be done by car. That could be an adapted car driven by themselves, a (possibly adapted) car driven by someone else or a taxi. It is these journeys that DLA mobility is meant to help cover the cost of.

Local authorities do provide bus passes to disabled people which allow them to use at a minimum buses after 9.30am on a weekday and all day weekends, the same as an OAP can. Local authorities can be more generous with what the pass can be used for within their own area. Here in Sheffield, disabled people who live in the area can also use the pass on the tram and Northern Rail train services in South Yorkshire and it can be used before 9.30am.

I have one of these passes but how useful it is to me really depends on where I am travelling to. I am partially sighted. I am lucky enough to live near the tram route which has spoken announcements to tell me what is the next stop and also what colour route it is. This allows me to reliably know where to get off and the tram always stops at the platform, unlike buses which sometimes stop in the road if they can't get into a bus stop. With buses you also have to be able to see when you have reached the place where you want to get off which I also find very difficult. I can't read the route number on buses so I either have to chose a bus stop where I know only one route stops or a stop which so busy there will always be someone else wanting the same bus. I find it difficult to see a bus coming and often get confused between a bus and lorry. I would have to stop every bus going past to find the right number bus and sometimes stopping one means the one I actually wanted carries on past the stop.

All this makes me very reluctant to get a bus on my own. Really the only advantage the travel pass gives me on the bus is that if I do get on the wrong bus or go past my stop I don't worry about having to have enough money to get back again. However I would then have to try and find the bus stop to go back the way I came, not easy in an unfamiliar place and hope I'm lucky enough to get on the right bus back and get off it without going too far in the other direction!

Being able to call a taxi in that situation is much easier and safer so that is one example of why disabled people need the mobility part of DLA and why free travel on public transport isn't necessarily the good deal it may seem.

You are also forgetting that not all of us has a bus stop or tram stop outside our homes.

We don't actually, not unless we do as I do and pay £15 a month for a Cineworld Unlimited card.

Whoever told you all DLA claimants get free Cinema tickets is clearly an idiot, and probably reads the Daily Fail.

My late husband had to pay for cinema tickets but I was allowed in free, as his carer, as he was unable to go alone but that's over 5 years ago and things have no doubt changed by now :cool: