32470 Sheffielders are on DLA.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/750k-extra-benefits-to-south-yorkshire-alcoholics-and-addicts-1-4655334

But Steve Givnam, of the Arundel Street Project which helps alcoholics, said: “To receive the Disability Living Allowance, you need to have some sort of physical disability or mental health problems.

“They money is meant to help with extra costs such as taxis and adaptations to people’s homes.”

He added: “Basic payments to someone on Job Seeker’s Allowance are £71 a week which is not a lot so extra payments would help cover necessities.

“I don’t think there should be any welfare cuts at all.”

A Department for Work and Pensions spokeswoman said: “There are 32,470 DLA claimants in Sheffield. The majority of people do not have a face-to-face medical assessment when applying. We are reforming the system.”

*Basic payments are actually £56.25. They can be even less for refugees and strikers.

DLA is paid to people regardless of whether they work and does not affect any other benefits. And if DLA is supposed to help with public transport why does anybody get it? They all get free bus passes too, and the free cinema tickets etc.

id start with the people on jsa that have been out of work 3 months or longer first

Edited by spooferman

And if DLA is supposed to help with public transport why does anybody get it? They all get free bus passes too, and the free cinema tickets etc.

People on DLA get free cinema tickets ?! thats news to me.

And if DLA is supposed to help with public transport why does anybody get it? They all get free bus passes too, and the free cinema tickets etc.

People on DLA get free cinema tickets ?! thats news to me.

We don't actually, not unless we do as I do and pay £15 a month for a Cineworld Unlimited card.

Whoever told you all DLA claimants get free Cinema tickets is clearly an idiot, and probably reads the Daily Fail.

Sheffield's population is around 555500, so that's roughly 6% of the population claiming DLA, thats a very high percentage if you ask me.

Whats the JSA cut?

54% of Sheffield's affordable housing has been lost since 1980!

1. Define affordable

2. Define lost

3. Define housing

4. Who then got a statistic of 54%?

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. You can prove what you want - and some will still believe the opposite!

Those for DLA are yet another set.

What the beneficiaries may be intended to spend their money on may have little bearing on what they actually spend their money on. Once they get it it's up to them.

We don't actually, not unless we do as I do and pay £15 a month for a Cineworld Unlimited card.

Whoever told you all DLA claimants get free Cinema tickets is clearly an idiot, and probably reads the Daily Fail.

My sons friend is autistic, he pays for a cineworld card and a carer can go with him for free.

His bus pass is also for himself and a carer.

The cineworld card is £5 per year.

The cineworld card is £5 per year.

Is that for people that get DLA??

Is that for people that get DLA??

yeah my mate gets it, just ask next time you go. -_-

There is a concessionary scheme which allows a disabled person to take a carer to the cinema with them for free. The idea is that if a disabled person would not be able to visit the cinema on their own then they are not penalised by having to pay for someone else to go with them, especially if the person accompanying them doesn't have much interest in that particular film.

The scheme is run by the Cinema Exhibitor's Association so the card is known as a CEA card. It costs £5.50 for the card and it is valid for a year. To get one a person must prove they are disabled by either providing a copy of a letter which shows they are entitled to DLA or a copy of their certificate showing that they are registered blind. The scheme is voluntary but most major cinema chains and many independent cinemas such as the Showroom are signed up for it.

http://www.ceacard.co.uk/

In a way you could say that people receiving free cinema tickets, but not for themselves, for their carers and only if they apply and pay for it. The money for this doesn't come from the government but from the cinema themselves, although unless the film has sold out they are not really losing anything by giving the free ticket to the carer, they might even sell the carer some extra popcorn etc. In fact cinema probably sign up to the scheme because if they did not then the disabled person would be far more likely to request assistance from the cinema staff which they would be required to provide under the DDA. It is probably more cost effective for them to let carers in for free than having to dedicate staff time to helping disabled customers.