Looks like circumcision could be banned.

Neither do I, but I was answering a specific point from Ian.

Actually, I can see the dilemma. If people whose religion specifies their need for this to happen at a certain time, and they really believe in it, what are they supposed to do? As opposed to it merely being a 'tradition' in their family, which doesn't imply a strong religious feeling about it.

If we're reluctant to 'ban the burqa', which is not even a religious requirement, how are we really going to attempt to ban circumcision, which actually is in Judaism and Islam?

Because they don't "force unconsenting defenceless babies" to wear a burqa.

So it's far less of an emotive subject :)

Drama. Its not mutilation.

Are you telling me my willy is mutilated? Many would disagree :hihi:

It's generally called mutilation if you start chopping bits of your body off. What do you want to call it?

Because that's what the law requires.

The law requires that you defend the practice? :suspect:

Similar to you then? ;)

You can't have a memory of something happening that didn't happen, even if you wink.

You can't have a memory of something happening that didn't happen, even if you wink.
False memory syndrome? Deja vu? Better check, just in case ;)

Now whos the drama-imputer? Firstly, a foreskin is not an organ its a teeny piece of skin, and removing does not = mutilation. I think you need to look that word up. Try google images. ;)

And yes, hygeine, disease control, in my opinion as a parent, is something that we take 1000% seriously in our children, so it does help that there are benefits on top of the tradition itself. If you have a boy, you should look at doing it, if he's too old now to not forget, he won't thank you for not removing his foreskin, i can promise you! Especially if he (G-d forbid) gets urinary tract infections, has inferior genital hygiene, smegma, sexually transmitted HIV, oncogenic types of human papillomavirus, genital herpes, syphilis and chancroid, penile cancer, and possibly prostate cancer, phimosis, paraphimosis, thrush, and inflammatory skin conditions such as balanitis and balanoposthitis.

If its not worth protecting your boy from the above, thats your call. I would do it again and again and again.

My bold.

Drama-imputer? Look in the mirror. But you forgot to add insanity, epilepsy, hysteria, tuberculosis, short-sightedness, moral hygene, and masterbation, which can also be "cured" by circumcision ... allegedly.

Oh, and the foreskin represents 50% of the surface area of the penis, so I wouldn't be "boasting" about your's being a teeny piece of skin.

you can't have a memory of something happening at 8 days old.

how about your experience of the alternative? Tell us about it. ;)

Also, still awaiting to hear about Jewish kids who want their foreskin back. Oh and you can now add to that ones who remember their bris.. :hihi:

My bold.

Drama-imputer? Look in the mirror. But you forgot to add insanity, epilepsy, hysteria, tuberculosis, short-sightedness, moral hygene, and masterbation, which can also be "cured" by circumcision ... allegedly.

Oh, and the foreskin represents 50% of the surface area of the penis, so I wouldn't be "boasting" about your's being a teeny piece of skin.

You sound angry. :loopy:

Masturbation can be cured by circumcision?! How many babies masturbate?

Off out now, carry on the crusade for our babies folks! Or, better still, worry about your own better ;)

Edited by Ian Dome

While were at it, we should ban this as well as slaughter of animals without stunning first.

No more "Kosher" or "Allal" Meat.

Why allow the torture of an already distressed animal in the name of religion. Also ban stunning by electrical means and only allow the use of a Captive bolt gun for stunning.

Look on youtube and see the distress this causes to the poor animal.

What a disgusting race we humans are. [ No i am not a veggie ]

You do realise that's not a reason FOR doing it, right?

i'll ask again - your outrage on behalf of our beloved little boys is sweet - now show me a significant number of people who grew up and wants his foreskin back. Because then you may have a point.

Oh sorry, I didn't realised you had asked me a question. How the hell should I know how many people want their foreskin back?

How would it make my point any more valid? My point being that you have not given a reason FOR ritual circumcision yet.

How about if I made a promise to my god that I would shave the eyebrows off every man I meet, as a symbol of my covenant with him, regardless of their own wishes. Would that be okay? How about shaving their heads? Giving them a tattoo to mark them? All without their consent.

Also, still awaiting to hear about Jewish kids who want their foreskin back. Oh and you can now add to that ones who remember their bris.. :hihi:

Why do you seem to think that this counts as a "for" argument?

If a paedophile had his way with an infant, and the child never knew anything of it as he got older, is that okay?

You sound angry. :loopy:

A bit of anger, yes, but thanks for the insult anyway.

Angry because I recognise that this cultural method of marking children as one of the tribe is unethical. It has been defended because of religion (even though the religions involved haven't always performed them), and more lately by inventing medical excuses, so angry at the lies.

Mainly sadness though, because the "tradition" is irrational and passed from parent to child in some sort of Stockholm Syndrome circle of reassurance, and it's sad to know that generations of people are caught in this delusion. Sadness for the children that have been damaged, deformed or killed. Because this is a practice that carries risk.

There is a hint of optimism though. I'm happy to know that I'm on the right side of the arguments. FGM is illegal in our country, and almost universally frowned upon, and I suspect that MGM will go the same way, if not in my lifetime then in my kid's lifetime.

The percentage of babies remaining uncut in Israel and the US is rising.

Masturbation can be cured by circumcision?! How many babies masturbate?

How many babies have been diagnosed with penile cancer?

You used penile cancer as an excuse to circumcise babies, so the fraudulent claims that were made that circumcision can cure masturbation, and those others that I mentioned, are equally as invalid as those that you mentioned.

Circumcision is a surgery desperately seeking for a cure to excuse it, to placate the people that are going to do it anyway.

Anyway, here's a useful flowchart:

http://www.circumstitions.com/Images/decision-flowchart.png