Rabone Chestermans Pomona Street

My late father worked at Chestermans, Colin Mylne. He contracted asbestosis, i belive from the furnaces there

I worked at Rabones from leaving school at 15. Started my apprenticship in the toolroom in 1971 and got made redundant in 1982ish, I think. I spent 6months in the toolroom with Ian Skinner and Dave(?).

I recognise lots of names mentioned and have got very fond memories of my time at Chesterman's.

Around 1967-70, A friend, Neil Headford, worked there I think in the machine shop. He lived almost opposite the gates and had a m/cycle and sidecar with the name "Ruptured Duck" written on the side. He emigrated to Australia in the nineties where he has his own medical services business.

My husband worked there as i first met him around 1965 His name is Terry Oates now aged 64

Sorry, I said that I spent six months in the toolroom, it was in the drawing office, I did my apprenticship as a toolmaker.

I was there at the same period of time Peter Parker, Trever Rowbottom, Morris Grainger, Brian Gunny, Tony Ronksley, (saw him at the speedway), Joe Pye and Jock Miller. I was in the toolroom when Jock's son, John was there.

Hello Last Orders. I will get over to visit you eventually. This forum has brought back some happy memories and names from the past.

And hello to you Sneaks, not seen you for a few years. Are you still living at near the Kentucky at Middlewood and doing any DJ ing? Hope your keeping well.

Edited by Big E

Just joined the Forum so I didn't know of this web page. I worked in the bonus office from school left for a while and came back in the screw room then had kids and came back as a paint sprayer in holesaws. my mother worked there for a long time her name was betty smith

Worked in the Sales Office from Feb 61 to March 64. W S Antill was the Chairman and his sons Michael and David were Directors along with Mr Hartley. Other names: Mr MacCalman (Accountant), Robert Bell, Graham Nicholson (Home Sales Manager), Eric Beeley (Export Manager), Mr Booth (Sales Office Manager), Doug Worsley (Stock Controller), Cyril 'Sid' Marsden (Personnel Manager), Mike Badger (Advertising), Ken Glossop, Eric Ward, Bert West, Derek Wood (ran the cricket team), Barry Farmiloe, Pauline Lucas, Kathleen Scotrick, Brenda Wain, Winifred Blakey, Mary and Zofia who worked in stock control, Addie Klein, Marylin Coward, and two of the reps Graham Smith and Michael Coates. Also recall little Teddy who acted as WSA's driver amongst his other jobs as well as a guy called Johnny who belted around the yard on a Lister truck.

Will always remember the big meeting in the canteen, August '63, to announce the link up with Rabones and old man Antill promising that "no one will lose their job as a direct result of this merger." In the November all of us in the Sales Office & Stock Control were told that we were being made redundant in March. So much for promises.

Even so, still the best firm I ever worked for.

I have only just found this post. I worked at Chestermans in the Sales Office between 1962 and 1964. I remember Mr Booth, Kathleen and Winifred. I was the Progress Chaser.

---------- Post added 28-07-2013 at 21:15 ----------

I have only just found this post. I worked at Chestermans in the Sales Office between 1962 and 1964. I remember Mr Booth, Kathleen and Winifred. I was the Progress Chaser.

I also worked there in the 60s in the bonus office first later the screw room then in Holesaws as a sprayer till they closed. My mother worked as an inspector in the steel shop, my daughters Andrea and Joanne also worked there. I remember Mr Green he was a manager, I also worked with John Shirtlife, Marie, Betty and also remember the two coloured men Melvyn and Sunny the were always playing jokes on us

I worked at rabones from leaving school right up to it closing. Started in f&f dept on top floor then served my apprenticeship in the toolroom. Ended up running press shop & chrome shop as chargehand. My name. Can you guest who i am.[ Sorry but l bet you knew old friends the Chesterman family

All those names being posted bring back many memories, we had some good times there. I always hoped I would retire from there it was the best place I ever worked, it's nice to see other peoples fond memories.

My late Grandfather worked at Chestermans for many years and lived across the road from there on Plumpton Street .. His name was Cyril Lazenby if that means anything to anyone .. I still have his long service watch ...

My late Grandfather worked at Chestermans for many years and lived across the road from there on Plumpton Street .. His name was Cyril Lazenby if that means anything to anyone .. I still have his long service watch ...

I remember him, I lived just across on Ecclesall road/ William St. I still have the Wedgewood plate and the etching we were given, I was the one that cleaned and sprayed them.