How about we scrap all benefits and replace it with Citizens Income?

Would you be in favour of Citizens Income  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of Citizens Income

• Yes
    • No

Citizens Income is where every citizen born in the UK 18+ gets a non means tested basic amount of money from the government to live on to cover basic rent and groceries regardless of any other income.

Citizen’s Income Trust - "A Citizen’s Income (CI) is ‘an unconditional, non-withdrawable income payable to each individual as a right of citizenship"

It is financially possible to do if you divide the total expenditure on benefits inc admin, the buildings, maintanence then divide it by total number of UK citizens 18+

This would equate to around £200 per week, and those with kids get an extra £30 quid a week.

CI elimainates all the bureaucracy, stigma attached to benefit claiming and provides a fair straight forward system and safety net for everyone.

More info here

http://www.citizensincome.org/

Edited by cardoor

So somebody with no job would get £200 per week and somebody earning £2000 per week would also get an extra £200 per week ????

If that's right it's the daftest thing I've ever heard !!!

Won't happen, the Daily Fail readers can clamour for it all they want.

Why is it?

So somebody with no job would get £200 per week and somebody earning £2000 per week would also get an extra £200 per week ????

Yes, some would invest the money - equals more jobs, some would spend it on consumer goods - equals more VAT revenue, others may give it to charity - equals more money for good causes.

Are you being serious ???

That I'd like to hear your reasons? Yes, very serious.

If they're good I may agree. Shocking idea. ;)

Eh? Whats the DM got to do with it?

I wouldn't pitch it as high as £200 per person, but I've floated the same suggestion before. An individual guaranteed income which you get regardless of what you want to do with your life; and if you want anything more than just a basic existence, get off your backside and go and earn it.

People too ill to work should, of course, still get extra monies on top, but people who just don't work can sort themselves out.

The stereotypical DM reader is vehemently against paying benefits to people. They'd be the ones most likely to oppose the scheme.

How could anybody defend giving an individual earning £2000 per week and extra £200 for rent/food.

Someone earning that amount (almost £100k per annum) will already have money invested and will almost certainly have all the material posssessions any normal person would want.

Therefore, extra money would more than likely be spent on holidays abroad, etc which would be of no benefit to this country at all.

I'd also like to hear the views of those who say that the rich are getting richer and those who want to see more equality in society because you certainly would get the first but not the second under this situation.

I wouldn't pitch it as high as £200 per person, but I've floated the same suggestion before. An individual guaranteed income which you get regardless of what you want to do with your life; and if you want anything more than just a basic existence, get off your backside and go and earn it.

People too ill to work should, of course, still get extra monies on top, but people who just don't work can sort themselves out.

According to that UKIP radio presenter on LBC (can't remember his name) the county even now in ac deep recession could easily afford £200 a week per person just from benefit expenditure alone.

I'm currently on JSA and becuase of the system there is no financial incentive for me to take part time work which I've beenoffered, so therefore stay on JSA.