Benefits for striking workers to stop

I know theres a big thing at the moment about benefit handouts but am i hearing correctly, the government is to announce that any low paid worker that goes on strike will loose there working tax credits and any benefits they get. Surely this is just short of communism. Its been every workers right to strike, this has gone on for donkies years. Its still the same nothing has changed but isnt this a sly way of stopping strikes? Are they saying youve got to work for nothing with no pension just shut up and get on with it? Bearing in mind we are in a deep recession and the likely hood of strikes is getting greater by the day. They cannot be allowed to pass this its aimed at low paid workers, the ones most likely to strike. This is just scarring people even more to just work for nothing, Isnt this just slave labour. Who ever voted these people in?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/benefits-strike-workers-stop-134907194.html

Edited by rich5315

I felt much the same way when I heard it. I couldn't believe that benefits ever have been paid to people for deliberately not working.

Yes but tax credits are based on a yearly income. If a worker was to strike it would only lower his annual salary by a small amount and not affect his working tax credit or basic tax credit. What they are saying is strike for 2 weeks and your benefits stopped for 2 weeks. Nothing to live on so "if i were you dont strike" thats how it reads to me its blackmail.

Going on strike always has meant having nothing to live on. Employers do not pay people to refuse to turn up.

Why should the fact that some of those people are on working tax credits, make any difference? People going on strike should not get paid.

Its still blackmail, if you were to have 2 weeks unpaid leave from work to say go on holiday you wouldnt loose your tax credits or child benefit.

Its still blackmail

No more so than stopping benefits to jobseekers who refuse to go to work.

This looks like a way of allowing employers to take retribution on workers for striking. The employer has to send the code in to activate the deduction of benefits.

What if the employer incorrectly or maliciously sends in a code? What is the appeals process when this happens? Who administers it? Is it right that an employer can have control over wages and benefits?

It's a vindictive plan deliberately targeted initially at the low wage earners. They can't deploy this scheme against strikers on higher wages but I'm guessing they will still require the code to be sent in just in case the worker claims tax credits at some point.

It'll allow the government to build up a record of whether individuals have ever gone on strike. There is also room for abuse - not all industrial action involves going on strike. Will working to rule be reported?

There is also an element of hazard for employers. Would an employer want to become known as an enthusiastic reporter of strike activity to the government?

:originally posted by rich5315

"Its been every workers right to strike, this has gone on for donkies years. Its still the same nothing has changed but isnt this a sly way of stopping strikes? Are they saying youve got to work for nothing with no pension just shut up and get on with it?!

and now that time is over thank goodness, you want to go on strike fair enough but dont expect to be paid or get benefits, strikes should be made illegal or at the very least if you strike the employer can sack you immediatly, join the real world and shut up and get on with it:loopy:

:and now that time is over thank goodness, you want to go on strike fair enough but dont expect to be paid or get benefits, strikes should be made illegal or at the very least if you strike the employer can sack you immediatly, join the real world and shut up and get on with it:loopy:

And there we have it :roll: no one on strike expects to get paid but don’t let that get in the way of your rant.

strikes should be made illegal or at the very least if you strike the employer can sack you immediatly, join the real world and shut up and get on with it:loopy:

"or at the very least". Come on, tell us what you'd really like to do to striking workers.

And there we have it :roll: no one on strike expects to get paid but don’t let that get in the way of your rant.

keep up matey we are talking about benefits in the shape of tax credits:roll::roll: shheesh some people

"or at the very least". Come on, tell us what you'd really like to do to striking workers.

oooh i havent got all night;)