Nick Clegg. Things he wished he never said

I voted Liberal at the last election both local and National.. I don't like Dave Cameron, I never have and never will, and Labour are run by numpties.

3. A key public perception is that the LibDems are progressive and left-leaning. If you look at the grass roots that is indeed a very powerful theme. Clegg's comments demonstrate a genuine disconnect between some of the LibDem parliamentary elite and the grass roots, a disconnect which senior left wing LibDem MPs are frantically trying to repair.

Does the quote actually say the LibDems shouldn't be left-leaning though? You seem to be focussing on the first part rather than the statement as a whole - which includes the notion of them being more that just a refuge for disaffected Labour supporters.

I voted Liberal at the last election both local and National.. I don't like Dave Cameron, I never have and never will, and Labour are run by numpties.

And are you happy with the Libdem's contribution to government policy?

And are you happy with the Libdem's contribution to government policy?

Mr Clegg doesn't have much input AFAIK, most of the polcies come from Dave Cameron.

Mr Clegg doesn't have much input AFAIK, most of the polcies come from Dave Cameron.

Finally a libdem supporter with some common sense.:o

He was dead against Trident renewal but is allowing this measure to pass without real protest.

The problem is that the Labour Party got so far up its own backside back in the 80's it became a parody of itself, great men leading it but unelectable.

Thatcher tore it to pieces.

The only way was to set like for like, so we ended up with Blair, who, say what you like, is one our greatest PM's, even though very much right of centre.

So where do we go?

The Liberals are finished, completely.

Labour don't which way to turn.

The Tories are in a blue funk and grasping at straws.

I don't see much point in an election, as it will be a waste of money.

The outcome will be the same.

Does the quote actually say the LibDems shouldn't be left-leaning though? You seem to be focussing on the first part rather than the statement as a whole - which includes the notion of them being more that just a refuge for disaffected Labour supporters.

If he wants them to have a broad appeal he needs to pick his words more carefully.

From a purely strategic electoral point of view it matters not whether left-leaning LibDem supporters are disaffected Labour supporters or whether they are long-standing LibDem-supporting social democrats. At the very least there was no need for Clegg to attempt to intellectualise that issue, especially in a way that can be used as ammunition later.

This quote will come back to be used against him. And he will get bogged down at election time trying to explain it, if he survives that long. If he doesn't survive somebody will have to explain what it meant. And in the context of a history of the party supporting policies that are not naturally LibDem it will be a massive task. Big strategic mistake.

"The Tories made us do it [sobs]" :hihi:

That's the way the electorate seems to feel about right-wing ones too. The Tories failure to win in 2010 was a spectacular misfire against a seriously wounded Labour party.

The Tories' failure to win in 2010 was entirely, and solely, down to the large bias in constituency sizes, in favour of left-wing areas. With that removed, they'd have had a majority of over sixty. Indeed, with that removed, they'd have been the largest party in the Commons in 2005!

The Tories' failure to win in 2010 was entirely, and solely, down to the large bias in constituency sizes, in favour of left-wing areas. With that removed, they'd have had a majority of over sixty. Indeed, with that removed, they'd have been the largest party in the Commons in 2005!

And I think that anomaly is being corrected, and then we have Scotland if they vote for independence (which I doubt they will) we can look forward to a permanent Tory government.:)

This is one of the most tenuous arguments I've seen on here in quite some time.

Constituencies are not created out of bias. Surely you cannot be arguing that? Or that the election was not winnable for the Tories?

The election was completely winnable if they had:

1. A better, clearer manifesto

2. Not shot themselves in the foot with the televised debates

3. Better election strategy

4. Better candidates

They did not lose the election because of gerrymandered constituency boundaries which is what you seem to be arguing. They lost because they had a poor manifesto, a poor campaign and a leader people did not trust.

And I think that anomaly is being corrected, and then we have Scotland if they vote for independence (which I doubt they will) we can look forward to a permanent Tory government.:)

Careful what you wish for MrSmith.