Housing crisis - moving people into smaller properties not an option!

If someone is a sole tenant of a property, even if its under occupied, there is not yet any government legislation to force them into smaller accomodation.

The only times when a council landlord can decide on the occupancy is when there's been a death with no sucession rights for the remaining people, or on a joint tenancy where the party leaving quits the tenancy. Then a council may decide it was to rehouse the under occupants to a smaller property.

But that's what the government is pushing for.

Everyone. We all know this is just an excuse to push the most vulnerable in society around. So what about people who have bought their own house and it's too big for them, e.g. a single person with more than one bedroom? Does that or does that not contribute to the so claimed housing shortage? I propose home owners pay a tax of £10k per annum for each bedroom that remains unused and that includes guest rooms.

Everyone. We all know this is just an excuse to push the most vulnerable in society around. So what about people who have bought their own house and it's too big for them, e.g. a single person with more than one bedroom? Does that or does that not contribute to the so claimed housing shortage? I propose home owners pay a tax of £10k per annum for each bedroom that remains unused and that includes guest rooms.

This is what is needed. But for everyone for rooms whether they are used/left unused. But not as severe. It is a land value tax.

It should be levied as a percentage of the rentable value of the property. It is the way forwards, it is fair, it is progressive, it encourages work.

I agree with Mecky and Chem1st

LVT and CI is the only way sensible fair way forward.

http://www.coalitionforeconomicjustice.com/

Good video setting out the case for LVT.

Have you heard of http://www.citizensincome.org/

?

Issue 2 of 2012 is now out (it makes sense to save issues and collect them as time passes by - as back issues are removed and access to them costs - although purchasing the full set of issues is also worthwhile - and you help the cause)...

Good video setting out the case for LVT.

Have you heard of http://www.citizensincome.org/

?

Issue 2 of 2012 is now out (it makes sense to save issues and collect them as time passes by - as back issues are removed and access to them costs - although purchasing the full set of issues is also worthwhile - and you help the cause)...

It was your link from the benefits thread which prompted me to start a thread about the topic!

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1008183r

By increasing the population at an untenable level and allowing homes to be turned into holiday accommodation and rental businesses.

Winner. If all the landlords and rental companies suddenly died tomorrow from good-living induced illness(or a bloody revolution) housing crisis would be over.

So if someone has worked all their lives, raised a family, that have now left, they have to give up their home to a family of, say 4 adults, who may well be on benefit, that seems fair...

IMO

Single person - Bedsit only

Couple - 1 bed flat only

Couple and baby - 2 bed

so on, and so on.

IMO social housing should just be a stop gap until people can afford to buy or rent private.

Everyone. We all know this is just an excuse to push the most vulnerable in society around.

In what way is it a punishment for society to provide appropriately sized cheap accommodation to people who need it?

So what about people who have bought their own house and it's too big for them, e.g. a single person with more than one bedroom?

What about them, it's not being supplied cheap by the government is it.

Does that or does that not contribute to the so claimed housing shortage? I propose home owners pay a tax of £10k per annum for each bedroom that remains unused and that includes guest rooms.

You propose lots of silly things because you can't personally afford to buy a house and expect the state to give you everything.

Sorry, that's unfair, it was such a silly suggestion that I thought you were chem1st for a moment.

There is no problem with people having larger homes if they can afford them. Many, many ordinary working people have made housing their priority, and paid for the best they could afford, so I think it would be completely unfair to penalise them just because of how they chose to spend their incomes.

However, I know owner occupiers who have lost their homes when they lost jobs as they don't get the same help in terms of benefits to pay their mortgage as people who rent. I'd suggest they were vulnerable at the time?

I also know others, us included, who have sold up and moved to a cheaper house because life events have meant their standard of living has become unaffordable. In our case, it was my husband's health that stopped him earning a full time income, so we cut our losses and sold the home we had jointly worked hard to afford. That's life for many of us.

Social housing nowadays should primarily be let to those who need it. If I was a single social housing tenant, on benefits, and living in a larger home than is deemed affordable, I'd be looking for the best exchange I could get before I actually had to. That way I'd be in with a chance of getting something decent.

There is no problem with people having larger homes if they can afford them. Many, many ordinary working people have made housing their priority, and paid for the best they could afford, so I think it would be completely unfair to penalise them just because of how they chose to spend their incomes.

I agree on the "If they can afford it." The problem is that mortgage lenders have allowed many people to have mortgages that in reality they couldn't afford.

However, I know owner occupiers who have lost their homes when they lost jobs as they don't get the same help in terms of benefits to pay their mortgage as people who rent. I'd suggest they were vulnerable at the time?

Why should someone with a large asset be given extra help from the public purse just because they signed up to a mortgage that they couldn't afford.

I also know others, us included, who have sold up and moved to a cheaper house because life events have meant their standard of living has become unaffordable. In our case, it was my husband's health that stopped him earning a full time income, so we cut our losses and sold the home we had jointly worked hard to afford. That's life for many of us. [/Quote]

You may have move because of cost but how many bedrooms do you have?

Social housing nowadays should primarily be let to those who need it. If I was a single social housing tenant, on benefits, and living in a larger home than is deemed affordable, I'd be looking for the best exchange I could get before I actually had to. That way I'd be in with a chance of getting something decent.

The social housing stock should be radically increased to help cope with the increase in lost jobs as many more people will sadly be losing them.