Anything Tyneside can do we can do better!

I am originally from the North East and can confirm I have never met anyone yet who actually likes it, that includes family and friends numbering a great many. I also used to drive tourist coaches on UK tours and we changed our route so as to avoid it because it was embarrasing having a coach load of people laughing at it.

Crikey! Well everyone I know likes it. You must have a very cynical family and bunch of friends. But whatever, it's certainly 'famous' and everyone 'looks' for it on their way up North.

I am originally from the North East and can confirm I have never met anyone yet who actually likes it, that includes family and friends numbering a great many. I also used to drive tourist coaches on UK tours and we changed our route so as to avoid it because it was embarrasing having a coach load of people laughing at it.

This is nonsense. People love it - they take special trips to see it and to visit the site, and locals are very proud of it as a symbol of their region.

This is nonsense. People love it - they take special trips to see it and to visit the site, and locals are very proud of it as a symbol of their region.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

It looks great!

Reminds me of terminator film............

Just spent a couple of days in Newcastle and as a Sheffielder born and bred I think we before we try to compare sculptural skills with Tyneside we ought at least to try to make our city centre at least 1/4 as clean and vibrant as that of Newcastle. Just walking round Newcastle centre made me realise just how shabby and down at heel Sheffield is.

Guest busdriver1

So I am a liar and my friemds and family are as well?

I think a huge, stainless steel, beaming 'Bobby Knutt head' on one side of the viaduct and a huge, stainless steel, beaming 'Marti Caine head' on the other side would sum up Sheffield to a tee!

So I am a liar and my friemds and family are as well?

No, not at all. But however large your circle of friends and family may be. In the grand scheme of things, it's just a few people who dislike it. many many others think it's a great piece of sculpture.

I daresay some people intensely dislike the 'Wicker Man' (visible from the M5 somewhere around Taunton). But I think that fabulous too.

Why oh why do they always say "Their going to ask the Sheffield public first" ?

As if it makes the slightist differance what we think ..

Edited by grinder

I don't think the public should be consulted. Leeds did that when preparing to commission Gormley's 200ft Brick Man in the 80s and the vote was against it, so they scrapped the idea. Gormley built the Angel of the North for Gateshead instead. Leeds should have just done it. Same with this.

The public will always be opposed to stuff like this, just as Parisans were to the Eiffel Tower when it was proposed and built. Most people are naturally conservative and only learn to love such things with time, which they would in this case.

Just get it built, Sheffield, and stop fannying about!

A link might have been nice for those of us who haven't a clue what the hell it is you're talking about. Here you go, that's 10 seconds of my life I'm not getting back.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/steel-man-plans-go-on-public-display-in-sheffield-1-4655182

jb

ETA: Yeah, build it. Quite how they're going to keep the scrap men from though is anyone's