Royal Mail Delivery Service

But prospective postmen do know the nature of the job before they sign-up. They're scarcely press-ganged into it!

But prospective postmen do know the nature of the job before they sign-up. They're scarcely press-ganged into it!

So they should put up and shut up? yes they know they are out delivering in all weathers. They even know about dog attacks as is something of an age old joke. But do they know the rubbish they have to take from people when all they are doing is their job? Is that acceptable?

I wish it would be made compulsory for post-persons (pc) to be able to read or at least be able to know the difference between "avenue" & "drive".

Actually there is a test you must sit before becoming a postie, with a range of questions; I found it quite hard and failed it. I got enough questions correct but apparently it was the length of time it took me that let me down. I didn't take that long but the other's taking the test must have finished quicker than me.

It'd help, too, if it were an enforced law that every house/flat had to have its number prominently displayed at the gate/entrance and visible from the road/pavement/accessway open to the general public.

It'd help, too, if it were an enforced law that every house/flat had to have its number prominently displayed at the gate/entrance and visible from the road/pavement/accessway open to the general public.

Imagine if the streets had no name, like that U2 song, posties would get in a right tangle then.

Actually that's not really true. Most expect the job to entail picking up some mail and delivering it, when in reality that's around half your days work. The other half is the pressure of preparing it all and that's what people don't expect. Nearly every new starter says 'I didn't think it would be like this'

They also don't expect to have 6-8 bags of mail to deliver a day, or get lost, or finish at 5pm, or have allsorts of injuries and aches but they all happen too.

Most new starters don't last a month, some don't see out their first day. I'm not saying it's the hardest job in the world - I love it and always have, but it's one of those jobs you either pack in straight away or stay a long time.

Edited by Rob_1

Actually that's not really true. Most expect the job to entail picking up some mail and delivering it, when in reality that's around half your days work. The other half is the pressure of preparing it all and that's what people don't expect. Nearly every new starter says 'I didn't think it would be like this'

They also don't expect to get lost, or finish at 5pm, or have allsorts of injuries and aches but they all happen too.

Most new starters don't last a month, some don't see out their first day. I'm not saying it's the hardest job in the world - I love it and always have, but it's one of those jobs you either pack in straight away or stay a long time.

A big cause of Royal Mail's problems in my view is that it is grossly under-manned.

A big cause of Royal Mail's problems in my view is that it is grossly under-manned.

Around 10 years ago (possibly less), there were around 240,000 RM employees, now there are 160,000. Back then there were 27m addresses in the UK, now it's 29m, it doesn't take a genius to work out that the ones left are doing a lot more work.

It's true that there are a lower amount of letters posted these days, but the massive increase in parcels (internet shopping) and direct mail (all the stuff you get with TNT/UKMAIL etc printed on it) more than makes up for that.

They also don't expect to have 6-8 bags of mail to deliver a day, or get lost, or finish at 5pm, or have allsorts of injuries and aches but they all happen too.

Oh no poor you having a 5pm finish and sometimes get injured and work hard carting stuff about... Oh wait isn't that most jobs :roll:

Oh no poor you having a 5pm finish and sometimes get injured and work hard carting stuff about... Oh wait isn't that most jobs :roll:

What time do you think posties start work in the morning? just a little earlier than most.