Need help getting laptop working with monitor.

I have a laptop with a damaged screen and no operating system. I'm trying to reinstall the operating system but I am unable to get the external monitor working. I assume that I need the OS for it to recognise it, any ideas please?

On my lappy there's a function button which activates the external display port..maybe you have one?

There may be something in the BIOS disabling the external VGA port. And of course you can't get to the BIOS.

Can you open up the laptop and reset the BIOS physically, jumpers and whatnot?

Does anything display on the monitor at all?

If it's VGA out I'd assume that it'd just replicate the monitor & that re-installing using a monitor should be OK.

If it's HDMI I think it may be the problem you suggested, when I plug my TV into my laptop's HDMI port it takes a few seconds & Windows detecting it before it'll show owt.

If you have VGA out & are using HDMI then give VGA a whirl.

Its vga and the function button doesnt do it. Cant get to the bios like you say and i'll look at the link when i get home truman, thx all.

Ok update. got the external monitor working .. .. .. .. the memory wasnt seated right, oops :blush:

Next problem, I'm struggling trying to reinstall an operating system. Its got an XP pro licence on it so that was my first choice but its saying all sorts of dll's are missing, it looks like the hard drive has been formatted, recovery partition and all. I've tried installing Ubuntu and trying a live linux and again with no joy.