Refurbishing a caravan

Sitting here, in my tourer in the Malverns, got quite wet on Monday, rain leaking in, interior walls seem damp and flaky. Has anyone tried to reline a caravan, or strip it and rebuild? Wife things it's time to scrap it, I think it might make a nice project. Any advice will be welcome! Coming home on Friday.

That's really usefull, thanks. Seems my caravan isn't as bad as some!

what caravan is it? i did a cheap repair on a 1980's sprite. the caravan was worth £300 so i basically glued a panel over the damp and wallpaper over it. it held, was functional and was better than looking at a black damp hole. it was never going to be permanent as the caravan was only a yr or 2 from scrap. however on our adria that had damp i cut out the damp supporting timbers and replaced with new, reinforcing as needed then replaced the wallboard with new window rubbers etc. not a quick job but the van was worth it and though we no longer have it i'm confident it's still solid and working fine. it's all do-able, just a question of time and cost.

a friend of mine had an accident that needed the rear panel replacing, as the caravan was worth well over £4000 it was worth spending the few hundred quid on a second hand panel, some good quality silkaflex and a good days work. we spent plenty of time making sure ALL the old sealant was off, took off the awning rail and re sealed the entire thing. still water tight 2 yrs on and looks as if the accident never happened.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17/fredsredhat/198099_10150125631617010_2268827_n.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17/fredsredhat/189499_10150125679932010_6965296_n.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17/fredsredhat/188560_10150125741192010_763059_n.jpg

It's a 1992 Abbey Piper, 4/5. I am loth to scrap it, and having seen the repairs done on the first reply here, am pretty confident that some new sealant and a few new panels, it should last a few more years. Grateful for all the replies and advice.

a quick tip as well is DONT use ordinary silicone sealant on the caravan. use silkaflex. silicone sets hard and eventually cracks under the stresses and movement of the van. use proper bedding tape and silkaflex that dont set hard and will flex with the van but stay watertight

thanks :-) was a late night but the end result was a proper job and is still going strong (survived last weeks wind in wales)