The word Gay in our schools

No I'm not missing it I understand exactly. But what I'm saying is she'd never used it before and never really knew what the word ment let alone that it was an insult. Like I've said in a recent comment you can't punish a child for something they don't understand, explain to them and then tell them if they use it in that way again they will be punished. Unfortunately it is now up to me as the parent to explain to her.

Of course you can punish a child for something they don't understand, children are irrational creatures and as such a lot of time rationalising the reasons why they are being punished doesn't work.

Maybe an example would be a small child messing about with a electrical socket. They'd be too you to understand the consequences of their actions but you still need to punish them to make sure they don't do it again.

If everyone used swear words all the time they would lose their offensiveness. It's different to punish and prevent bullying than it is to ban words because some people have delicate sensibilities.

Also use of the word gay is not the same as using mong or spazz as being gay is not an affliction/disability.

The f word and the c word are both valid words. Anyone offended by them should be deported to Australia for "submersion therapy". :)

No I disagree. Firstly it is not about delicate sensibilities it's about establishing a culture of respect for all, including young gay boys and girls beginning to make associations with the pejorative use of the word gay and their own identity. It doesn't matter that that gay isn't a disability like Spina Bifida or Down's Syndrome, it's an orientation - though I think you need to be more specific as to why you think there is a difference. Both the F and C words are valid but then so are many others. That's not the issue, they shouldn't be used in school.

Edited by Mister M

Fair enough but still different circumstances and all that.

No I disagree. Firstly it is not about delicate sensibilities it's about establishing a culture of respect for all, including young gay boys and girls beginning to make associations with the pejorative use of the word gay and their own identity. It doesn't matter that that gay isn't a disability like Spina Bifida or Down's Syndrome, it's a state of being - though I think you need to be more specific as to why you think there is a difference. Both the F and C words are valid but then so are many others. That's not the issue, they shouldn't be used in school.

more specific. Ok. Being gay is like having blonde hair. It's not an affliction or condition or disability. There's no real disadvantage.

Describing something/someone as gay doesn't have to infer something negative.

It can be used to mock or make fun or bully, but so can almost every other word.

Calling something/someone a "spazz" or a "mong" can only be taken as something negative.

Clear enough? Did I pass?

Ps were you expecting me to say "because being gay is a lifestyle choice and down's syndrome is not" so you could throw a hissy fit and lecture me?

Fair enough but still different circumstances and all that.

I agree, but you have constantly stated that you can't punish a child for something they don't understand, when you can.

What if later on in their life your child turns out to be gay, isn't it really good that from a young age they'll learn to understand that there is nothing wrong with being gay, or would you rather they carried around all the negative connotations that they'll pick up if they accept that using the word gay is OK as an insult.

more specific. Ok. Being gay is like having blonde hair. It's not an affliction or condition or disability. There's no real disadvantage.

Describing something/someone as gay doesn't have to infer something negative.

It can be used to mock or make fun or bully, but so can almost every other word.

Calling something/someone a "spazz" or a "mong" can only be taken as something negative.

Clear enough? Did I pass?

Ps were you expecting me to say "because being gay is a lifestyle choice and down's syndrome is not" so you could throw a hissy fit and lecture me?

I don't have any powers to pass or fail you & nor would I throw a hissy fit; just here to debate and give my own opinions.

Logically being gay doesn't have to infer anything other than the chioce of partner. It's all the other stuff that goes with it - the stereotyping, assumptions and discrimination and bullying. There is a lot of research out there looking at the impact of homophobia on people; and attacks on gay people are all too common. Now in that context it's not difficult for a gay child growing up thinking that there is something wrong with being gay, that there is something wrong with them. That's my take on it.

Like I've said in a recent comment you can't punish a child for something they don't understand, explain to them and then tell them if they use it in that way again they will be punished. Unfortunately it is now up to me as the parent to explain to her.

Oh noes! You have to do some parenting! what is the world coming to?

Tbh how can she not use this word as it does have other meanings would the same thing have happened I wonder if she'd have used other words like "fag, faggot, puff, queer, queen" need I go on. I mean she only has to mention that i have a gay friend and that means she's using the word which she been told to be a bad word.

Your daughter used the term in a derogatory sense,not as a descriptor.You do not seem to realise that it was an acceptable word used in an unacceptable context.The meaning of such words is defined by its context.

Quote Teddybare:

Anyone offended by them should be deported to Australia

I'm sure people could get that here;)

Quote Teddybare:

Maybe they also need to ban the word "homosexual" as it can be used in a negative way and has negative connotations for many people.

Which is why 'gay' is used - where would it all end

Edited by cressida
stuck 'who' in

I don't have any powers to pass or fail you & nor would I throw a hissy fit; just here to debate and give my own opinions.

Logically being gay doesn't have to infer anything other than the chioce of partner. It's all the other stuff that goes with it - the stereotyping, assumptions and discrimination and bullying. There is a lot of research out there looking at the impact of homophobia on people; and attacks on gay people are all too common. Now in that context it's not difficult for a gay child growing up thinking that there is something wrong with being gay, that there is something wrong with them. That's my take on it.

Isn't homophobia an inevitable part of human mentality like racism and other forms of discrimination? Because humans are afraid of things that are different to them. If homosexuals were in the majority don't you think that heterophobia would exist?

Negative connotations are in the mind of the individual.

I agree that homosexuals need to be protected from discrimination of any form. But banning words in schools just seems to be an overreaction and likely to have the opposite effect than desired.

Maybe they also need to ban the word "homosexual" as it can be used in a negative way and has negative connotations for many people.

Or we could ban every adjective that anyone finds offensive.

And calling JLS "gayLS" is a world away from going out gay bashing.

Isn't homophobia an inevitable part of human mentality like racism and other forms of discrimination? Because humans are afraid of things that are different to them. If homosexuals were in the majority don't you think that heterophobia would exist?

I agree that homosexuals need to be protected from discrimination of any form. But banning words in schools just seems to be an overreaction and likely to have the opposite effect than desired.

Has anybody suggested that the word "gay" is/should be banned in school?

I'm not talking about banning the word gay or homosexual.