The word Gay in our schools

Humans are inherently afraid of anything that is different to them or threatens to change what they consider normal. Prejudice and phobias are simply a leftover from our evolution that's no longer required.

How we deal with these phobias in a modern society is what's important.

Removing them completely is not a possibility.

I don't believe preventing the use of certain words will help to lessen prejudice.

I realise we are hardwired to be alarmed by diversity but this does not make them acceptable,and a civilised society will attempt to curb these base instincts.It is a matter of regret that some people seem to celebrate these responses,and this has long been the basis for facism.

Thanks everyone for your comments I can assure you they have all been noted. Even so I know my child more than any one and I can honestly say she didn't understand what she said would have had such an impact and it WAS said in all innocence in the first place we do have to remember that not all children grow up as fast as each other. I think I've said all I'm going to say on this now as we are just going round in circles. Thanks again x

Yes this has been a very circular discussion.Please try to support your school as you will find you may need extra help bringing up your family.

Thanks everyone for your comments I can assure you they have all been noted. Even so I know my child more than any one and I can honestly say she didn't understand what she said would have had such an impact and it WAS said in all innocence in the first place we do have to remember that not all children grow up as fast as each other. I think I've said all I'm going to say on this now as we are just going round in circles. Thanks again x

It is the responsibility of the school to ensure that any such behaviour is dealt with and to set an example to others that it will not be tolerated. Obviously this does not apply to you, but there will be kids who are growing up in racist/misogynistic/homophobic environments and will bring those prejudices to school; that kind of mentality will spread to other kids if it is not challenged by those in authority. Prejudice is learned behaviour after all so tolerance can be learned and instilled equally.

This is the way the country is going now isn't it.

Here is a mad idea. Couldn't the teacher have told the child that that was an in appropriate use of the word and that gay people find it offensive. If she used it again she would get a detention.

No.

Instead its get out the big stick and beat her over the head.

When I was a child I was out with a friend who dropped an empty Smarties packet on the floor in front of a copper who he had not seen. The copper clocked it and said "Pick it up son, put it in the bin, there's a good lad" which of course is what he did.

Now he would be lucky to not get a £30 fine.

A woman recently got one for flicking a small piece of lint off her woolen glove. The Council Nazi that issued the fine wouldn't give her opportunity to pick it up.

To the OP, I know that if you are pulled up in school and recieve a punishment for racial comments, they keep a record on your file and it follows you through your school career.

It may be worth checking if this is going to be kept on her file, marking her as a homophobe.

This is the way the country is going now isn't it.

Here is a mad idea. Couldn't the teacher have told the child that that was an in appropriate use of the word and that gay people find it offensive. If she used it again she would get a detention.

No.

Instead its get out the big stick and beat her over the head.

When I was a child I was out with a friend who dropped an empty Smarties packet on the floor in front of a copper who he had not seen. The copper clocked it and said "Pick it up son, put it in the bin, there's a good lad" which of course is what he did.

A woman recently got one for flicking a small piece of lint off her woolen glove. The Council Nazi that issued the fine wouldn't give her opportunity to pick it up.

To the OP, I know that if you are pulled up in school and recieve a punishment for racial comments, they keep a record on your file and it follows you through your school career.

It may be worth checking if this is going to be kept on her file, marking her as a homophobe.

Interesting, most people complain that there isn't enough discipline these days.

Outrageous! You couldn't make it up!

Um ... do you have a source to support your claim?

Outrageous! You couldn't make it up!

Um ... do you have a source to support your claim?

I suspect this apocryphal,designed to discredit officialdom.

You're absolutely and obviously wrong. Gay still means homosexual, it is still commonly used with that meaning, are you completely oblivious to the world around you?

I don't need to look past the front page of popular news sites to prove you completely wrong, both of these storys are from this very day:

BBC- Gay marriage: Church in Wales bishops want exemption

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2158795/Gay-gene-survives-generations-female-relatives-homosexual-men-babies.html

You cannot possibly be that ignorant of the world around you, I don't believe it.

It dosent meant that anymore.

There is nothing special about what you used to call 'gay' any more, they are just one of the crowd.

So young people have altered the parlance.

Move with the times and accept it.

My Parking permit was called gay the other day, as it looks crap.:D

Look forward in the terms of our language.

It dosent meant that anymore.

There is nothing special about what you used to call 'gay' any more, they are just one of the crowd.

So young people have altered the parlance.

Move with the times and accept it.

My Parking permit was called gay the other day, as it looks crap.:D

Look forward in the terms of our language.

So all those bishops protesting Gay marriage just have issues with people's dress sense?

So all those bishops protesting Gay marriage just have issues with people's dress sense?

No, they are just living in the past same as you seem to be.

It is not shocking for anyone any more, get on with your life and stop worrying.:)