The word Gay in our schools

Isn't homophobia an inevitable part of human mentality like racism and other forms of discrimination? Because humans are afraid of things that are different to them. If homosexuals were in the majority don't you think that heterophobia would exist?

Negative connotations are in the mind of the individual.

I agree that homosexuals need to be protected from discrimination of any form. But banning words in schools just seems to be an overreaction and likely to have the opposite effect than desired.

Maybe they also need to ban the word "homosexual" as it can be used in a negative way and has negative connotations for many people.

Or we could ban every adjective that anyone finds offensive.

And calling JLS "gayLS" is a world away from going out gay bashing.

There is nothing inevitable about prejudice-if you believe this it seems to legitimate this phenomenom.

Oh noes! You have to do some parenting! what is the world coming to?

Cheaky sod :)

I wasnt the one with the issue about the word in the first place why should I have had to explain I have no problem with the word and she wouldn't have used it at home anyway

Isn't homophobia an inevitable part of human mentality like racism and other forms of discrimination? Because humans are afraid of things that are different to them. If homosexuals were in the majority don't you think that heterophobia would exist?

Negative connotations are in the mind of the individual.

I agree that homosexuals need to be protected from discrimination of any form. But banning words in schools just seems to be an overreaction and likely to have the opposite effect than desired.

Maybe they also need to ban the word "homosexual" as it can be used in a negative way and has negative connotations for many people.

Or we could ban every adjective that anyone finds offensive.

And calling JLS "gayLS" is a world away from going out gay bashing.

It is not a case of the word being banned, it is all about context and not using it as a slur. Used in a derogatory fashion sows the seeds for the kind of mentality that does lead to homophobia and gay bashing. It also creates a culture that makes it really difficult for people to come out when they're older.

I agree, but you have constantly stated that you can't punish a child for something they don't understand, when you can.

What if later on in their life your child turns out to be gay, isn't it really good that from a young age they'll learn to understand that there is nothing wrong with being gay, or would you rather they carried around all the negative connotations that they'll pick up if they accept that using the word gay is OK as an insult.

Hey I'd have no problem with that you can't help who you fall in love with but the issue was she was punished without my knowledge until after which according to the school isn't the way they deal with things.

Cheaky sod :)

I wasnt the one with the issue about the word in the first place why should I have had to explain I have no problem with the word and she wouldn't have used it at home anyway

Because part of our role as parents is to nip these things in the bud, to foster tolerance of difference and teach our kids not to bully and not to be nasty to other children. They are impressionable and need our guidance.

Your daughter used the term in a derogatory sense,not as a descriptor.You do not seem to realise that it was an acceptable word used in an unacceptable context.The meaning of such words is defined by its context.

Yes she did i agree and yes I do understand it was used inappropriately I'm not that stupid

Because part of our role as parents is to nip these things in the bud, to foster tolerance of difference and teach our kids not to bully and not to be nasty to other children. They are impressionable and need our guidance.

Unfortunately when the school seems to allow the bullying of my child for the past year after numberous complaints what more can I do. She knows to an extent it was wrong to use the word but as it wasn't aimed at an individual doesn't understand why. Basically it's just a case of ppl reading far too much in to a childish comment.

I'm not talking about banning the word gay or homosexual.

I know you aren't. I just meant how would punishment for using it in schools be enforced if it wasn't banned completely?

In the context of the op it wasn't bullying or prejudice. and yet, she was punished. If gay is accepted by millions of people as an alternative for the word lame, then homosexuals will just have to get over it and start being known as something different, so as to remove the connection between themselves and the word.

Protecting homosexuals from discrimination has nothing to do with controlling the words people choose to use.

Unfortunately when the school seems to allow the bullying of my child for the past year after numberous complaints what more can I do. She knows to an extent it was wrong to use the word but as it wasn't aimed at an individual doesn't understand why. Basically it's just a case of ppl reading far too much in to a childish comment.

You to take up these double standards with the school then.

There is nothing inevitable about prejudice-if you believe this it seems to legitimate this phenomenom.

Humans are inherently afraid of anything that is different to them or threatens to change what they consider normal. Prejudice and phobias are simply a leftover from our evolution that's no longer required.

How we deal with these phobias in a modern society is what's important.

Removing them completely is not a possibility.

I don't believe preventing the use of certain words will help to lessen prejudice.

You to take up these double standards with the school then.

I can assure you that we have but unfortunately nothing seems to get done and the situation continues.

Thanks everyone for your comments I can assure you they have all been noted. Even so I know my child more than any one and I can honestly say she didn't understand what she said would have had such an impact and it WAS said in all innocence in the first place we do have to remember that not all children grow up as fast as each other. I think I've said all I'm going to say on this now as we are just going round in circles. Thanks again x