The word Gay in our schools

Recently my 7 year old daughter was given a lunch time detention for using the word "gay" at school. She came home with a letter say she had been seriously discipline for using swearing / abusive language (the poor child didn't even know what the word ment) when we confronted the school the head told us it was classed as homophobic abuse. From a 7 year old I think not. Even the gay culture use this word and coronation street used it only yesterday. Yes I understand it can be abusive but when are the schools gonna stop making our children grow up to soon ( I had to then try n explain what she had done wrong by using the word )

Recently my 7 year old daughter was given a lunch time detention for using the word "gay" at school. She came home with a letter say she had been seriously discipline for using swearing / abusive language (the poor child didn't even know what the word ment) when we confronted the school the head told us it was classed as homophobic abuse. From a 7 year old I think not. Even the gay culture use this word and coronation street used it only yesterday. Yes I understand it can be abusive but when are the schools gonna stop making our children grow up to soon ( I had to then try n explain what she had done wrong by using the word )

If this really did happen then the school have been too harsh.

Gay is no more an insult than fag which is no more an insult than homo.

None of them bother your average gayer, only the PC brigade who very kindly get all offended and ruffled on our behalf.

At primary school? The world is going mad, really.

The Head is clearly an idiot IMO.

Sure, the meaning of the G word has changed since the 60s, but only flag waving PC loony lefties would be offended by the use of it nowadays.

Also, if the 7 year old didn't know what it meant, where did they pick up the word in the first place?

The Head is clearly an idiot IMO.

Sure, the meaning of the G word has changed since the 60s, but only flag waving PC loony lefties would be offended by the use of it nowadays.

Also, if the 7 year old didn't know what it meant, where did they pick up the word in the first place?

Im guessing the child probably did have an idea what it meant.

Im also guessing that they heard it at school or on TV.

My kids learn some rather peachy language when they started going to school.

Thats life.

Similar story not long ago.A young lad asked a black boy if he was from Africa,because of the colour of his skin...

Basically all she said was gay LS for JLS another incident at the same school was some kids calling another one fat so he called them gay guess who got into trouble yes the poor lad that said gay. I was really annoyed that this was taken this far in the first place. Just wanted some comments on this thanks x

Similar story not long ago.A young lad asked a black boy if he was from Africa,because of the colour of his skin...
Guess a lot of people in the teaching profession and allied trades have forgotten what it's like to be seven years old. :(

OP should explain to her daughter what the head had done wrong by disciplining her over this.

Basically all she said was gay LS for JLS another incident at the same school was some kids calling another one fat so he called them gay guess who got into trouble yes the poor lad that said gay. I was really annoyed that this was taken this far in the first place. Just wanted some comments on this thanks x

So you do recognise that kids of that age can use the word "gay" as an insult.

I'm not saying she's an angel lol but I thought this was just taken far too serious she only understood that the word ment that two men / women who liked each other .

If this really did happen then the school have been too harsh.

Gay is no more an insult than fag which is no more an insult than homo.

None of them bother your average gayer, only the PC brigade who very kindly get all offended and ruffled on our behalf.

I disagree. I personally find the term 'fag' (when used to describe a gay person) offensive.