Could Occupy return

sits and waits...........................................

Our old friends at Occupy Sheffield are still active in some capacity. They are attempting to negotiate a return to the Salvation Army Citadel in Sheffield by agreeing a temporary tenancy. They admit themselves that the property company who own the building are doing this because a temporary tenancy will allow the the private property development company to claim relief on council tax.

Quite how this sits with an organisation who's main aims include tax avoidance is debatable. Personally I think it's because they are a bunch of hypocrites who have no real principles but simply enjoy agitating.

I think we definitely need a Occupy Sheffield movement.

Anyone want to join !!

er er er:roll: let me think ....thats the word i am looking for NO!:roll:

I think we definitely need a Occupy Sheffield movement.

Anyone want to join !!

Depends whats on the telly.

er er er:roll: let me think ....thats the word i am looking for NO!:roll:

Youll never start a revolution while the European cup is on.

What a pathetic snipe the linked article is. Well done Occupy. Watch your numbers swell as the hard working poor are stretched to breaking point whilst the rich get richer on 'austerity'.

And the occupy have a solution to this problem do they? Havent heard any ideas from them before now so wont hold my breath.

What a pathetic snipe the linked article is. Well done Occupy. Watch your numbers swell as the hard working poor are stretched to breaking point whilst the rich get richer on 'austerity'.

Darth Vader can you explain how you square this attitude with Occupy Sheffield's current project which is obtaining a tax break for a wealthy property development company in return for a free temporary lease on one of their properties.

This seems rather like a tax avoidance scheme to me, why is Occupy Sheffield taking this route when surely they should be in favour of wealthy companies like this paying full council tax in order for the council to spend this money on services?

Darth Vader can you explain how you square this attitude with Occupy Sheffield's current project which is obtaining a tax break for a wealthy property development company in return for a free temporary lease on one of their properties.

This seems rather like a tax avoidance scheme to me, why is Occupy Sheffield taking this route when surely they should be in favour of wealthy companies like this paying full council tax in order for the council to spend this money on services?

I seem to remember someone else addressing the same point you raised, or a similar one, an another thread, and they seemed to disagree that this was actually happening.

Anyway, personally, as you've asked for my twopenneth, yes, the system is a sham, it is geared towards helping the rich, with numerous known tax loopholes, if the opposers of this system have to jump through a hoop in the existing system to obtain a greater goal, then sometimes you have to look at all things considered and decide what is the best course of action for the greater good. I can't comment on whether this is what has been done in this case, as I only have heard about this from your posts.

I seem to remember someone else addressing the same point you raised, or a similar one, an another thread, and they seemed to disagree that this was actually happening.

Anyway, personally, as you've asked for my twopenneth, yes, the system is a sham, it is geared towards helping the rich, with numerous known tax loopholes, if the opposers of this system have to jump through a hoop in the existing system to obtain a greater goal, then sometimes you have to look at all things considered and decide what is the best course of action for the greater good. I can't comment on whether this is what has been done in this case, as I only have heard about this from your posts.

Here is a link to an email on OS's own website.

https://www.email-lists.org/pipermail/occupysheffield/2012-June/000695.html

Claiming rates relief is discussed. I guessed this was what was going to happen some time ago which is what the previous posts were about but this confirms it.

I'm sorry but can you not see how hypocritical it is for an organisation which claims to be against tax avoidance as it's main aim to collude in a tax avoidance scheme with a private company? Tax avoidance is really bad except for when they benefit from it. Why the hell should anybody listen to them preaching on about tax avoidance when they themselves are benefiting from it? It's ludicrous, OS are an absolute joke.

Here is a link to an email on OS's own website.

https://www.email-lists.org/pipermail/occupysheffield/2012-June/000695.html

Claiming rates relief is discussed. I guessed this was what was going to happen some time ago which is what the previous posts were about but this confirms it.

I'm sorry but can you not see how hypocritical it is for an organisation which claims to be against tax avoidance as it's main aim to collude in a tax avoidance scheme with a private company? Tax avoidance is really bad except for when they benefit from it. Why the hell should anybody listen to them preaching on about tax avoidance when they themselves are benefiting from it? It's ludicrous, OS are an absolute joke.

It's all a matter of perspective isn't it? In addition to my previous answer, perhaps some might feel that it's a case of 'evening up' the injustices that seem to be heavily skewed towards benefitting the rich at the expense of the poor, by letting the poorer benefit from a tax loophole for once.

It's all a matter of perspective isn't it? In addition to my previous answer, perhaps some might feel that it's a case of 'evening up' the injustices that seem to be heavily skewed towards benefitting the rich at the expense of the poor, by letting the poorer benefit from a tax loophole for once.

But it's not the poor who are benefiting is it? It's the wealthy property developer who owns the citadel, Hammersons who made £344 million in revenue in 2011. Here is a link to their wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammerson

And Occupy Sheffield are extremely happy for this monumentally wealthy company to avoid tax which would go toward local services in Sheffield as long as it benefits them.

Occupy Sheffield have absolutely forfeited the right to criticise tax avoidance of wealthy companies by colluding in it themselves. I cannot see how they could even attempt to justify this given what they claim their stance on tax avoidance is.

But it's not the poor who are benefiting is it? It's the wealthy property developer who owns the citadel, Hammersons who made £344 million in revenue in 2011. Here is a link to their wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammerson

And Occupy Sheffield are extremely happy for this monumentally wealthy company to avoid tax which would go toward local services in Sheffield as long as it benefits them.

Occupy Sheffield have absolutely forfeited the right to criticise tax avoidance of wealthy companies by colluding in it themselves. I cannot see how they could even attempt to justify this given what they claim their stance on tax avoidance is.

But it would be the poor who would ALSO be benefitting in this case, as the Occupy movement champion their cause.

Whilst I understand and have some sympathy with your last paragraph in terms of 'ethics', it might be viewed as irrational by some, for example, I might benefit from some of the Conservative/Lib Dem legislation, but that does not make me a Conservative/Lib Dem supporter, nor does it negate my right to oppose it.