VW Golf - Airbag light on dashboad & MOT

This light has been on for about six months now, I read somewhere on a car forum that it's because of wiring that shakes loose over bumpy roads, which sounds about right for Sheffield.

Anyway, my question is will it fail my car at MOT time?

Cheers.

This light has been on for about six months now, I read somewhere on a car forum that it's because of wiring that shakes loose over bumpy roads, which sounds about right for Sheffield.

Cheers.

I'm sure under the new mot rules any warning lights lit up on the dash will be a failure.

If its the mk5 then it's down to fragile connectors under your seat, I tripped my by stupidly moving my seat back to far to Hoover my car.

Yes it's a MOT fail.

You can fix it yourself for very little money.

eBay for a VAG commander which are £7 , you plug the lead into the cars com port and reset the airbags with a laptop. I had this system setup but my laptop died. So. Have replaced the system.

I have a wireless one coming from china any day now to connect to my iPad to do the same thing. If that can reset the airbag ( as of yet not tried cos I have not got it ) your more than welcome to bring it to me to sort.

Yep it is a MK5, took it to local mot centre who said it didn't used to be in the mot but it is now, he connected his snapon tools analyser which pinpointed the passenger seat fault, he's gonna fix it when he does the test, thanks for the offer, cheers Eric!

Air bag light on the dash is not a mot failure!!! Will be next year but not now!

We have had exactly the same fault with our mk4 golf and have purchased a vag cable thingy from eBay for £7:50 best thing we ever bought unfortunately this is a well known fault with vw golfs but before we found this out we'd spent loads on ours trying to solve it but still no such luck so vag it is till it goes

Air bag light on the dash is not a mot failure!!! Will be next year but not now!

Are you a tester?

From the AA site..

"Supplementary restraints

The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.

A seatbelt pre-tensioner fitted as original equipment but missing or that has obviously deployed will be a reason for failure.

Seatbelt load limiters that are missing where fitted as standard or folding webbing type limiters that have obviously deployed are also reasons for failure.

The vehicle will also fail if an SRS malfunction light is missing, not working or indicating a fault."

We have had exactly the same fault with our mk4 golf and have purchased a vag cable thingy from eBay for £7:50 best thing we ever bought unfortunately this is a well known fault with vw golfs

Not just Golfs but many other makes. Its a common fault on Peugeots.

Luckily a repair on the wire under the seats sorts it, on Pugs the airbag ECU can't be easily reset.

Yes I am a tester. That will be true in the new regulations but not yet. The only light that can fail is a Abs light

These £7 leads are good for the money but there are a few drawbacks.

1, no instructions

2, my application was German , no idea if cos the car is German ?

3, easy to mess up if you play and 'brick' your car. I turned my car into European so runs in KM !

So china now are knocking out wifi ones for £30 delivered (originals are about £200) This means I can use it with my iPad with the dashboard commander OBD2 to now sort out cars. This allows more things over the VAG like real time HP views,MPG use,torq and other things like that.

Yes I am a tester. That will be true in the new regulations but not yet. The only light that can fail is a Abs light

When do the new regs start? If you download the Class 4 manual from here

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

and look at section 5.4 it says an SRS malfunction indication will be a fail..

The document is dated January 2012

Edited by truman

Cheers.

Hi, i know this post is old but did you manage to fix the light and airbags? If so how did you do it? Thanks