More staffy attacks on kids

I'm guessing when you were a fighter, you were up against humans, not dogs? ;) If so, to be blunt, you're in no position to speak with any level of assurance on the issue of being in a fight with a dog.

Out of interest though, just what is it about alsations that makes you so certain that you would do better against a dog bred for fighting (e.g. a staffy)?

Of course I am, because the mechanics of attack/defence changes very little when you're fighting something which has a shape which is generally speaking the same as yours.

The size alone would make an Alsation harder to fight, if any of them got hold of you it would be difficult to get them off, but an Alsation would have more of a chance of getting you to start with because of its size/weight advantage.

I would actually take a guess at saying that unless you were completely caught off guard a staffy would be relatively easy to defend against (I wont go into details, because the last thing i want to do is encourage meat heads to fight their dogs).

I'm guessing it's cos if you put an alsation up against a breed of dog genetically designed to fight, it will likely end up dead?[/Quote]

It all depends on the individual animal. When my dog comes up against other dogs in the park he almost always shows signs of submitting, he's simply not interested.

When we visit my parents (who have a particularly large labrador) my dog's pound for pound weight advantage (that is, he weighs less but is proportionately stronger) make no difference when they're playing, he always ends up on his back and the labrador just stands there looking daft while my dog is out of breath.

I wouldn't like to wager on such a thing but where my dog is concerned the money would be on the Alsation.

Yorkies and Jack Russels, vicious little things that think they're Rottweillers :rant:

They may be, I've a Yorkie, he's 15 yrs hardly any teeth now to bite anyone or anything.

But when he was younger he was a little devil, I've also had a Jack Russell, but neither of them could have done the damage a Staffie could..:(

Aww bless, she's gorgeous...:)

Thanks ;)

And shes definitely a big softie, she doesn't even attack my parrot when he bites her :hihi:

Heres my Staffy looking very aggressive!

DSC01510.jpg

This is taken from Wikipedia:

'Due to its breeding, and history, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is known for its character of intelligence, fearlessness and loyalty. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog. It has been said that "No breed is more loving with its family".

The breed is naturally muscular and may appear intimidating; however, because of their natural fondness for people, most Staffords are temperamentally ill-suited for guard or attack-dog training.'

Perfectly sums up every Staffy that i've ever met!

They may be, I've a Yorkie, he's 15 yrs hardly any teeth now to bite anyone or anything.(snip)

I bet he could give you a nasty gum!

Sure it's been said before, but it's not a problem with the breed, it's stupid owners who don't control their dog, or worse, young idiots that want a vicious dog for "street cred".

I had a drive round Dryden Road the other day and as usual it looked like a scene from Threads, I also couldn't believe the amount of kids around the 8 to 10 year old bracket who were being dragged around by Staffies. I feel sorry for the few decent people left up there who have been outnumbered by all the scummers that have moved in.

The reason staffies are getting it in the neck is because the media have decided to pick on them this time,

Not so. I've disliked Staffies long before the media picked up on them. The only 2 dogs we had longstanding problems with when I had my own dog were both Staffies & that was 20 years ago.

I had a drive round Dryden Road the other day and as usual it looked like a scene from Threads, I also couldn't believe the amount of kids around the 8 to 10 year old bracket who were being dragged around by Staffies. I feel sorry for the few decent people left up there who have been outnumbered by all the scummers that have moved in.

lol come on now Southey Green has always looked like threads,its a dump like most of S5.:)