Where to buy a hamster and what breed ? advice needed

My 11 year old wants a hamster and we have agreed to it we have been to jolleys today and they have advised that dwarf hamsters are friendlier than normal ones but on doing a bit of googling it seems its more likely the other way round any advice welcome also where is the best place to buy one from ?

Dwarf hamsters? Friendly?? Not in my experience!

Why not get your 11 year old some rats instead? They're very friendly and sociable and not as fragile as hamsters. They're easier to handle too.

I always found Syrian hamsters friendly with plenty of handling

Ive had russian dwarves and robovskis (because Ive a huge extended rotastak cage, which arent really suitable for syrians

I'd definately advise against the robovkis. Although they never bit, they were just too quick too hold. They were happier running round the cage/tunnels/a run that I had built

The russians- I had one that was extremely friendly and tame- would literally sit and fall asleep on your hand/come to the top of its cage to beg to come out.

Although the one I had living with it, I had to seperate- after 3 months they started viciosuly fighting- and that one I couldnt hold without it giving a nip if it felt like it..

I'd maybe go to a breeder rather than a petshop you might be more likely to get one with a good temperment

We had two Russian Dwarf hamsters and they were evil! I'm a massive animal lover and not much scares me. Except hamsters! I'll never handle one again and i'll certainly never own another. They terrify me!! I'll stick to my Staffy and my two rats!

Ive had russian dwarfs, syrians and roborovskis and I must say syrians are the most kindest in my opinion and they are bigger so easier to handle.

Not sure where for you buy some tho. Dont by from jollys or pets at home, aparantly jollys are now selling animals and they are from a bad breeder.

I say dont buy from pets at home because my self and other people I know have had poorly pets from pets at home. My rat had cancer and had to put to sleep. My friends hamster had wet tail. Her rabbit is half blind and has respitory problems, so many more cases like this.

I currently have a syrian and 2 dwarves (ww/campbell hybrids) the dwarves are much friendlier than my syrian - but she was a rescue, so no idea where she hailed from originally. The dwarves were also rescues, but have been handled loads by the lady who had the litter, so they are much tamer.

I wouldn't opt for dwarves for a small child though, they are SO fast! There is a hamster breeder in sheffield, her name is Ann Dray, and i am sure you could get a lovely syrian from her.

I would always go rats though, personally :P

Another vote for a pair of rats as a great pet for an 11 year old. There are some good breeders on here who should be your first approach, but if you must go to a pet shop for your rats, you must go to gleadless pets. The lady there loves her rats and they are all very well handled and looked after.

The downside with rats is that they do need a lot of stimulation and attention and will quickly become bored unless they get plenty of time out of the cage playing and exploring.

Hamsters are much less needy.

Ami-j will give you the name of a good hamster breeder,its better to get one from a breeder rather than pet shops.

Thanks for the advice to be honest I think it wouldnt be fair to get a rat as my son is at his dads a couple of nights a week so wouldnt get enough company :| I will defo get one from a breeder dont like seeing any animal in pet shops to be honest if anyone could pm me any contact details it would be appreciated.

I have had a number of syrian hamsters, and once used to handling they are lovely.