London Bus Drivers To Strike During Olympics. What lovely folks.

The fact remains it was a Coalition Government, and not a Conservative

Government as you originally stated, and I note you have now deleted.

You are absolutely right bazjea, it is a common misconception that it was a Conservative administration although they were in the majority. I did forget that and altered it soon after. The 1935 general election must have been interesting. The coalition did not do so badly under the circumstances and I think I am right when I say that one of the last MPS to stand as a National MP was Lloyd Georges son.

Thank you for the correction.

You'll have to excuse him bazjea, he's only got a degree in English and History.

Stanley, how lovely to hear from you, tell me did you get the book ? (Idiots Guide to trolling), also have you retrieved whats left of the caravan? Those cliffs on the east coast are very treacherous. Do be careful.

I wont be around much tonight as I am going to a dinner at the Conservative Club, its in honour of Maggies glorious victory in the Falklands. I went there you know on my South Atlantic cruise (Cunard). Nice place, simple people, you would feel at home.

Toodle Pip old sprout, keep the faith.

Vote for Dave

PS I finished "Cheryl Cole her life and Times" Churchillian dear boy. Thanks.

You'll have to excuse him bazjea, he's only got a degree in English and History.

I also have an NVQ in security, a diploma in bookeeping and a signed edition of The Worlds Great Cities by Lord Norwich, please do not undersell me.

Here we go again ... yawn!!

You are absolutely right, they pine for the days of industrial strife when the class war (as they put it) was at its height. A headlong race into oblivion for the country, the industries they worked in and their industrial might.

Thank god for Maggie Thatcher.

I grew up during their class war and all the strikes. Before Thatcher Britain had earned the name of "The sick man of Europe" But it's well known that the Trades Union Congress was headed by people loyal to to Moscow so that explains a lot of what went on back then

Now people moan and groan about what they see as the Germans calling the shots but the Germans never had an agenda to cripple their own economy and neither did they make a hobby of striking

I remember a character who worked at Ford's plant in Dagenham, Essex. He was a union shop steward and when he called a strike he would ring a hand bell. It was like the Call of the Almighty. Work on the assembly line stopped immediately and then the paint and engine shops would go out in sympathy.

Edited by Harleyman

I know someone who worked at Ford's in Dagenham and Visteon too. When Ford sold the plants to Visteon, the workers were promised their full Ford-worker T&Cs.

So far, it has taken the union about 2 years to get Ford to stand by some of those promises, they are still fighting for the rest.

I grew up during their class war and all the strikes. Before Thatcher Britain had earned the name of "The sick man of Europe" But it's well known that the Trades Union Congress was headed by people loyal to to Moscow so that explains a lot of what went on back then

Now people moan and groan about what they see as the Germans calling the shots but the Germans never had an agenda to cripple their own economy and neither did they make a hobby of striking

I remember a character who worked at Ford's plant in Dagenham, Essex. He was a union shop steward and when he called a strike he would ring a hand bell. It was like the Call of the Almighty. Work on the assembly line stopped immediately and then the paint and engine shops would go out in sympathy.

I thought Reagan was dead,as these remarks are as ignorant as those espoused by that fool.This propaganda makes Goebbels sound like the Brothers Grimm.

Mines and Collieries Acts (about 1840)

Ten Hours Act (about 1840) for the benefit of millworkers

Lunacy Acts for the benefit of those incarcerated in mental institutions

Chimney Sweepers and Chimney regulations

The above are a sample of the laws introduced in the 1850s years before the LABOUR party was created.

Lod Shaftesbury was the prime mover of these acts. A TORY

:thumbsup:

Don't forget Stonehenge was a workhouse in the Stone Age. That was closed down long before Labour and the unions existed.

I also have an NVQ in security, a diploma in bookeeping and a signed edition of The Worlds Great Cities by Lord Norwich, please do not undersell me.

Which makes one wonder how and why you spend so much time arguing the toss on a local forum when you could crossing swords with the world's intelligentsia.

I thought Reagan was dead,as these remarks are as ignorant as those espoused by that fool.This propaganda makes Goebbels sound like the Brothers Grimm.

The truth hurt does it? Everything went to hell in a hand basket in the 196/70s.

Strike happy miners who were already among the highest paid in Europe. Shoddy workmanship at British Leyland that turned out cars that no one wanted to buy and instead bought German, French and Japanese which didnt fall apart or conk out after 30 k miles.

Sheffield's steel industry lost to foreign competition, ship building a thing of the past, the railways still with rolling stock from the 1940s in a shambles and the two railway unions ASLEF and NUR playing the leapfrog strike game.

I saw it all. You probably didnt, or if you were around at that time you must have been wearing rose coloured specs or living in a fool's paradise.

Edited by Harleyman

Which makes one wonder how and why you spend so much time arguing the toss on a local forum when you could crossing swords with the world's intelligentsia.

i dont regard it as arguing the toss, rather bringing light to your darkness.

The truth hurt does it? Everything went to hell in a hand basket in the 196/70s.

Strike happy miners who were already among the highest paid in Europe. Shoddy workmanship at British Leyland that turned out cars that no one wanted to buy and instead bought German, French and Japanese which didnt fall apart or conk out after 30 k miles.

Sheffield's steel industry lost to foreign competition, ship building a thing of the past, the railways still with rolling stock from the 1940s in a shambles and the two railway unions ASLEF and NUR playing the leapfrog strike game.

I saw it all. You probably didnt, or if you were around at that time you must have been wearing rose coloured specs or living in a fool's paradise.

harleyman you are right, the others are wrong. like you i suspect ther were not there.

keep the faith.