London Bus Drivers To Strike During Olympics. What lovely folks.

There's no shortage of Bus drivers in this country. If the current ones don't want to work, fire them and bring in people who have a work ethic.

I wish I lived in a country where one could be sacked for expressing an opinion, too.

It was my way of answering that yes, if it is the only way to stave off redundancies then it is the best option.

The thread isn't about redundancies..keep on topic.. :)

Yes, and as I say, you're only going on bloody holiday because the unions & people fought for them. I never named any individuals or did mud slinging, as I say people quick to slag unions, but happy to take what they won for them.

You really don't think management give people the holidays out of the goodness of their hearts, hold on there's a pixie @ bottom of my garden.

I'm happy to be corrected on this but I'm sure that time off(not sure about it being paid time off) from work came in before the Labour party even came into existence; it was nothing to do with employers being nice, they just realised that the masses working all day every day producing goods was pointless if no one had spare time to consume the goods being produced.

I wish I lived in a country where one could be sacked for expressing an opinion, too.

No one is being sacked. If the London bus drivers don't want to work to their agreed terms during the Olympics there are plenty of bus drivers around the country who would jump at the chance.

No one is being sacked. If the London bus drivers don't want to work to their agreed terms during the Olympics there are plenty of bus drivers around the country who would jump at the chance.

Indeed, no-one is being sacked. My comment was in response to those effectively calling for the removal of the right to withhold your labour, or the firing of those that exercise that right.

I'm happy to be corrected on this but I'm sure that time off(not sure about it being paid time off) from work came in before the Labour party even came into existence; it was nothing to do with employers being nice, they just realised that the masses working all day every day producing goods was pointless if no one had spare time to consume the goods being produced.

I think you'll find lots of things the lefties lay claim to happened long before Labour and the Unions came along. Their propaganda would have you believe they put a stop to kids going up chimneys, working 25 hours a day and they cured rickets.

Mines and Collieries Acts (about 1840)

Ten Hours Act (about 1840) for the benefit of millworkers

Lunacy Acts for the benefit of those incarcerated in mental institutions

Chimney Sweepers and Chimney regulations

The above are a sample of the laws introduced in the 1850s years before the LABOUR party was created.

Lod Shaftesbury was the prime mover of these acts. A TORY

Mines and Collieries Acts (about 1840)

Ten Hours Act (about 1840) for the benefit of millworkers

Lunacy Acts for the benefit of those incarcerated in mental institutions

Chimney Sweepers and Chimney regulations

The above are a sample of the laws introduced in the 1850s years before the LABOUR party was created.

Lod Shaftesbury was the prime mover of these acts. A TORY

Holidays with pay came into being in 1938. When the country had a National

Government, Tories,Labour, and Liberals were in charge

Holidays with pay came into being in 1938. When the country had a National

Government, Tories,Labour, and Liberals were in charge

The Labour party were singulalrly under represented in the National Government. It was a coalition mostly of Tories and Liberals under a Conservative Prime Minister. Neville Chamberlain.

Edited by xenia

The Conservative government were in power in 1938, Neville Chamberlain was Prime Minister.

Britain had a National Government in the 1930's ie a coalition of the

3 main parties whose leaders listed below were in charge at various stages

Ramsay MacDonald, Stanley Baldwin, and Neville Chamberlain which held office from 1931 until 1940.

The Labour party were singulalrly under represented in the National Government. It was a coalition mostly of Tories and Liberals under a Conservative Prime Minister. Neville Chamberlain.

The fact remains it was a Coalition Government, and not a Conservative

Government as you originally stated, and I note you have now deleted.

and I note you have now deleted.

You'll have to excuse him bazjea, he's only got a degree in English and History.

BA Honours English and History.