Franklin Street

Hi Manxbiker,

What year(s) are we talking about , As I mentioned I also went to the cubs at st John's ( oposite side of the road to Sharrow Lane school & before washington Road ((trafic lights)))also Sharrow Lane school up to the age of 11 aprox 1958.

i was born 1954 so it would have been later than you

Manxbiker,

Slight diferrent in ages, we new the same places but a different age group.

It was good to talk.

I only can remember the Flints and possible Garton's living on Franklin st.

I remember the shops at the top end of Club Garden oposite the school.

Take care have a good day.

Ilived on club garden road just round corner

spent a lot of time exploring Franklin street when people moved out

every house seemed to have a piano we had a big bonfire that year then scrap man came and took all remains away

i also went to cubs at sharrow st johns

and sharrow lane school

Hi Manxbiker,

What year(s) are we talking about , As I mentioned I also went to the cubs at st John's ( oposite side of the road to Sharrow Lane school & before washington Road ((trafic lights)))also Sharrow Lane school up to the age of 11 aprox 1958.

You two would be heartbroken, if you saw the state of the old Sharrow Saint John's Church building, now.

It closed down as a church in its centenary year (the upper building of the two was opened in 1906/7) and is extremely dilapidated and overgrown these days.

I haven't been inside the "sanctuary" for some years (not since I and my ex hubby were caretakers there) but I have been told that the ceiling collapsed about 2 years ago.

There was rampant dry-rot all through the building, and the central heating system was ripped out and sold for scrap, many years ago.

It was a lovely building in its heyday, and it's sad to think that it is in such a sorry state, now.

i was born 1954 so it would have been later than you

Christ, your initials are AC aren't they ?

Christ, your initials are AC aren't they ?

Wouldn't Christ's initials be JC

All you Sharrow boys, do you remember the Sunderland Social club

You two would be heartbroken, if you saw the state of the old Sharrow Saint John's Church building, now.

It closed down as a church in its centenary year (the upper building of the two was opened in 1906/7) and is extremely dilapidated and overgrown these days.

I haven't been inside the "sanctuary" for some years (not since I and my ex hubby were caretakers there) but I have been told that the ceiling collapsed about 2 years ago.

There was rampant dry-rot all through the building, and the central heating system was ripped out and sold for scrap, many years ago.

It was a lovely building in its heyday, and it's sad to think that it is in such a sorry state, now.

I have not been to Sheffield for sometime, everywhere was under drastic changes the last time I visited.

I was born on Meadow Steet S3 1947, I went to Netherthorpe school, infants. The supertram was just coming into operation the last time I was in Sheffield just as a visit.

We moved to the Sharrow area, which was my main home for growing up.

It's scary what they have done to the place.

Time stands still for no man, but to me it was a lot friendlier place (when growing up)

No problems walking the streets returning from the picture house (Abbeydale)

or the one on Ecclesall Road (I think that was called the Star, picture house) eating (Sheffield) fishcake & chips on the way home.

Can remember being in the boy scouts at Sharrow Lane church opposite the Franklin which was just up from the Cross Guns. They were about to close it down before knocking it down so I went in and bought a load of the old pint glasses for 3d each. Still got them 40 years or so later. They all are marked with GR on them. If I remember right the houses on the left as you went from Sharrow lane had front and back doors but the houses on the right were back to backs and therefore had courts behind them. Had some good friends who lived on Franklin Street. We all seemed to go our seperate ways when we took our eleven plus at Sharrow Lane School.

I lived on Fentonville St 2 roads up from Washington Rd. I did have family on Franklin St & I went to Sharrow Lane school, leaving the area about 1962.

My paper round included Washington road ,pearl St, top end of Sharrow Lane towards Nether Edge.

Can remember being in the boy scouts at Sharrow Lane church opposite the Franklin which was just up from the Cross Guns. They were about to close it down before knocking it down so I went in and bought a load of the old pint glasses for 3d each. Still got them 40 years or so later. They all are marked with GR on them. If I remember right the houses on the left as you went from Sharrow lane had front and back doors but the houses on the right were back to backs and therefore had courts behind them. Had some good friends who lived on Franklin Street. We all seemed to go our seperate ways when we took our eleven plus at Sharrow Lane School.

Hello Gordonb,

This thread has been revived again today and I was looking at the previous posts. From what you say, I think I may know you. Have you got a sister called Vicky and did your grandparents live on Thorp Road?

I remember playing marbles on the cobbles outside the Cross Guns on my way home from Sharrow Lane school.I was at the junior school from 1946-50.My sister started school there in the infants in 1948 and my mother taught there 1948-62.Mates I remember were Malcolm Hurt,Graham Ormesher,Michael Turner,Jimmy Green,Philip Lawson,Graham Jowett and a lad called Marcus whose parents had a corner shop the other side of London Road.Does anyone remember a temporary teacher,Mr Willey who was bald with a cyst on top of his head.He had a speech impediment in which he could only pronounce s as sh ,so we all got up from our seats to get him to shout his version of "sit in your seats"

We lived on Priory Terrace,my younger brothers Len and Brian Kay,Brian Nicholson,Maurice Elliott and his wife Dolly. there son Pete,played the piano at various pubs in south Sheffield,Jack Glossop. Same lot used to go in the Washington owned by a cripple,name escapes me,that was our snooker pub.

All in the 40s and 50s.

Hello Floriblade

Did you have a brother Dereck and sisters Margaret and Teresa if so i went to school with

them St.Matthias.

Cheers

Yorkyhells