Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

They dont issue bins for medical waste. A District nurse or GP has to sign off and then youre issued bags for collection (and not a child in traditional nappy age range)

Quote below from Veolia Website. Seems to contradict your information

"If you live in a large household, or if you suffer from a medical condition that produces lots of waste, you may want to apply for a larger/additional black bin. You can apply online at http://www.sheffield.gov.uk or by contacting Veolia on 0114 273 4567."

Edited by bazjea

Quote below from Veolia Website. Seems to contradict your information

"If you live in a large household, or if you suffer from a medical condition that produces lots of waste, you may want to apply for a larger/additional black bin. You can apply online at http://www.sheffield.gov.uk or by contacting Veolia on 0114 273 4567."

Yes good luck with that. For a start the when you fill out the link it won't send as I think this has been disabled on purpose. You can try the phone but they have a secret criteria which you may not meet and they'll reject your phone application outright. If your medical condition is acceptable to them (which I doubt) they will either send an inspector around or require written medical evidence (doctors note I presume). So it is far from a straightforward matter I think, not to mention the fact that it takes an age to get through to them.

Had my bin emptied as normal this Tuesday but no leaflet. Woke up this morning (Friday) to find about a third of the street had put the blue bins out and been emptied (we are usually done on a wednesday) Got home tonight with the leaflet finally on the doormat! And all credit to Veolia ( and it galls me to say it) but they are doing an extra blue bin empty tomorrow morning.

If only the communications side of things had been done better <sigh!>

No reduction in council tax. Reduction in funding from central government is why they have had to do it.... More to come as well. Not councils fault.

No reduction in council tax. Reduction in funding from central government is why they have had to do it.... More to come as well. Not councils fault.

They were offered money from central gov. to continue with weekly collections but refused..

If you don't drive, it might be a good idea to look for stuff with little or no packaging when you shop.

That way it is easier to carry home and your bin stays empty.

Sounds like a winner to me.

I better ask the pizza delivery guy to stop putting my food in big boxers and foam containers.

Thats funny we had fortnightly wheelie bin collections introduced under the Labour government.

They dont issue bins for medical waste. A District nurse or GP has to sign off and then youre issued bags for collection (and not a child in traditional nappy age range)

We have a neighbour(NEDDC) with a large medical waste/sharps bin which is emptied independently of bin collections and usually by the guy who empties the dog bins. i.e headed for the incinerator.

IIRC all Sheffield waste goes to the incinerator so perhaps no need.

what i dont get is if you have a larger bin it might possibly be heavy and how many people have had their normal bins left because its to heavy

Here's my post from the other thread:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9115183#post9115183

Believe it or not, when wheelie bins were first introduced in the early 90s they actually allowed residents to have two wheelie bins, but you had to buy the second.

My parents bought a 2nd one, I can't remember why or how much they paid, but it was about £25.

When we moved to a bigger house they gave it to us, and we used it perhaps half a dozen times a year, when we did some major gardening. I used to tip the binmen £20 at Xmas to say thanks.

Then about 7 years ago we came home to find it missing, and I assumed it had been nicked, until a few days later we received a letter from Veolia to say that they had noted our two bins and they would collect it at some time in the future.

The one that they had already taken, and had been paid for ... basically theft.

I phoned somebody, but they refused to accept that the bin belonged to us.

They don't get an Xmas tip anymore.

Edited by quisquose

I better ask the pizza delivery guy to stop putting my food in big boxers and foam containers.

Y-Fronts may be better

Getting used to it now, amazed just how much stuff is plastic glass and foil. :) happy anyway and no issue about needing bigger bin.