Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

Doesn't surpise me - everyone I know who's set out with the best intentions of using re-usable nappies for their newborns, has given up and switched to disposabes fairly swiftly. Hence the availabilty of second hand ones.

You'll also find most parents selling them on, is because their child has outgrown them or that particular system didnt work for them (just like disposables, not every nappy fits every baby!)

Its only been in the last 30 years disposables have been in regular use When my parents had me, they couldnt afford anything but cloth with a plastic pant Whats used now is waaaaaaaaaaay more efficient than what our parents would have used with us

I've noticed a few public bins on the street overflowing with bags of household waste.

I have noticed this as well. The response I got from my local Councillor was as follows:

"I acknowledge your concerns about fly-tipping especially as I have had another complaint about this, which I forwarded to Jack Scott, Cabinet member for Environment and Waste, and this was his response:

"Fly-tipping is absolutely not an acceptable response to this and we are significantly stepping up enforcement action where we find this. To be very honest, a large proportion of the people who fly-tip are serial offenders disposing of trade waste, who have never used an Household Waste Recycling Centre.""

Forgive the pun... but that to me is a load of rubbish. Stepping up enforcement is just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I have noticed this as well. The response I got from my local Councillor was as follows:

"I acknowledge your concerns about fly-tipping especially as I have had another complaint about this, which I forwarded to Jack Scott, Cabinet member for Environment and Waste, and this was his response:

"Fly-tipping is absolutely not an acceptable response to this and we are significantly stepping up enforcement action where we find this. To be very honest, a large proportion of the people who fly-tip are serial offenders disposing of trade waste, who have never used an Household Waste Recycling Centre.""

Forgive the pun... but that to me is a load of rubbish. Stepping up enforcement is just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Is putting household rubbish in a public bin considered fly tipping??

Is putting household rubbish in a public bin considered fly tipping??

My question to them was specifically about household refuse at public bins. They referred to it as fly tipping. I would assume from the response that they class it as fly tipping.

AFAIK it's illegal to put domestic waste in street bins, they're there for litter.

They probably didn't read your letter and fobbed you off with a stock reply.

To be very honest, a large proportion of the people who fly-tip are serial offenders....

If they're serial offenders than the council must have a good idea who they are.

disposing of trade waste, who have never used an Household Waste Recycling Centre.

Household Waste Recycling Centres aren't for trade waste anyway!

My question to them was specifically about household refuse at public bins. They referred to it as fly tipping. I would assume from the response that they class it as fly tipping.

Thats what I gathered. How strange. I suppose it allows them to issue fines if they class it as fly tipping.

not neccesarily. Enforcement of fly tipping and the subsequent fines could generate revenue (presuming it is done correctly).

not neccesarily. Enforcement of fly tipping and the subsequent fines could generate revenue (presuming it is done correctly).

It could generate revenue. However lets say that people put their food waste/nappies etc in sacks and place near to public bins. How are they going to tell who has put it there? It will be difficult to get enforcement officers to catch people doing this. I suppose that there could be more enforcement officers, but then this destroys the additional revenue.

I've noticed a few public bins on the street overflowing with bags of household waste.

Me too .There was a black bin liner full stuffed in one on Eccy road today, contents spilling out onto the pavement.

........... nappies etc in sacks and place near to public bins. How are they going to tell who has put it there? It will be difficult to get enforcement officers to catch people doing this. .....

DNA Samples are now taken at The Jessops Wing at birth.

Poo samples can be traced back.

DNA Samples are now taken at The Jessops Wing at birth.

Poo samples can be traced back.

:hihi: sledgehammer to crack a nut...but I know you're joking.