Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

What I am saying is that the people who run a City should do the best it can for the residents of that City and if there was an opportunity to obtain money to ensure that people could continue with a weekly collection simply by applying for some funding then I see it as a duty of that Council to do so whether it be Sheffield, Manchester or any other place in the country. 2 wrongs dont make a right IMO.

But did the government promise enough money for the city to continue weekly collections, or was it offering money for a short time on the condition that the council used it's own cut budget to promise to continue weekly collections when the government funding expired? I don't think the LibDems are being very honest about the issue of "offered" funding.

Wasn't the coalition money (before they changed their mind) just a temporary thing? I thought they promised to fund the first year, if the council would commit to three years of weekly bin collections, or something like that.

To me, the LibDems appear somewhat dishonest by criticising the council. Their government is not offering enough money for the council to go on emptying bins weekly, but the local LibDems are trying to score political points by blaming the council.

Personally, I don't think there are very many families who really need their bins emptying weekly anyway. If people learn to crush bottles etc before putting them in the bin, it saves a lot of space. We are a family of four and sometimes don't put our bin out for 3 or 4 weeks.

That simply isn't true. When the budget was set by the Lib Dems when in power there was enough money in the budget to ensure weekly collections, without any offer from the Govt. Labour got in and changed that.Lib Dems blaming the council is because it is Labour who set the current budget and chose not to offer weekly collections.

Personally I see it as a civic duty to have a bin emptied weekly.Aside from the health hazards.We live in a civilised society and have this as a minimum expectation. Thats just my opinion but there are many others who agree. a bin that is full of nappies or dog poo for 2 weeks isn't hygienic.

Yes I agree we can all do more to recycle but for some families issues like nappy disposal is something they are concerned about.

I'm not bothered particularly about the fortnightly collections. I am more concerned about the job losses etc.

BUT

I am miffed that last Thursday we got a ribbon on our bin saying from 13th the ollections would change to fortnightly and scheduled for Friday, then this morning awoke to the bins clattering on the Thurdsay collection as normal when mine were still in the back garden. With no time to get up and get my bins out as the only ones out and collected were those that never put their bins away.

Didn't you get an extra leaflet along with the 6 page guide to the new recycling services because I did? On this extra leaflet it stated that for this week only there would be an additional black bin collection on your usual day of the week and then collections would continue as per the calendar on the back page of the guide.

But did the government promise enough money for the city to continue weekly collections, or was it offering money for a short time on the condition that the council used it's own cut budget to promise to continue weekly collections when the government funding expired? I don't think the LibDems are being very honest about the issue of "offered" funding.

I suppose everyone has a different view about what should be cut and what should not be.I havent sat in a recent meeting so I cant comment on that. But even if that was the case the budget had still been set to afford them in the first place so it was do able.

Obviously when a different administration comes in they have different priorities like going back to 'favoured areas' which I dont agree with.

But hey the people of Sheffield voted for it so that is what we have to deal with now.

That simply isn't true. When the budget was set by the Lib Dems when in power there was enough money in the budget to ensure weekly collections, without any offer from the Govt. Labour got in and changed that.Lib Dems blaming the council is because it is Labour who set the current budget and chose not to offer weekly collections.

Personally I see it as a civic duty to have a bin emptied weekly.Aside from the health hazards.We live in a civilised society and have this as a minimum expectation. Thats just my opinion but there are many others who agree. a bin that is full of nappies or dog poo for 2 weeks isn't hygienic.

Yes I agree we can all do more to recycle but for some families issues like nappy disposal is something they are concerned about.

What the previous LibDem council promised seems irrelevant now as the current council have to deal with Tory/LibDem Government cuts to the amount available for the local council to spend.

Regarding your expectation to have your bin emptied every week, that is probably just because it is what you have grown up with. We also have a child who still uses nappies, and we have never had any problem with pests despite not putting our bin out every week. Rats in our area obviously aren't strong enough to climb up and open our bin lid!

What the previous LibDem council promised seems irrelevant now as the current council have to deal with Tory/LibDem Government cuts to the amount available for the local council to spend.

Regarding your expectation to have your bin emptied every week, that is probably just because it is what you have grown up with. We also have a child who still uses nappies, and we have never had any problem with pests despite not putting our bin out every week. Rats in our area obviously aren't strong enough to climb up and open our bin lid!

Which is a result of the 13 years of mismanagement of the country s finances by the the previous Labour administration. An inherited situation which the coalition has been attempting to tackle now for over 2 years.

Which is a result of the 13 years of mismanagement of the country s finances by the the previous Labour administration. An inherited situation which the coalition has been attempting to tackle now for over 2 years.

Whatever your views on whether Labour or the Tories or the Lib/Dems caused the world-wide debt problems, the local council are currently having to deal with cuts and I think if cuts need to be made changing to a fortnightly collection is something that most people will accept once they get used to having to crush things before they put them in the bin so it doesn't fill up so quickly.

my bin is empty......it can hold five black bin liners full of rubbish....so dump your overspill in mine...only charging £10 to fill my bin...

Didn't you get an extra leaflet along with the 6 page guide to the new recycling services because I did? On this extra leaflet it stated that for this week only there would be an additional black bin collection on your usual day of the week and then collections would continue as per the calendar on the back page of the guide.

Nope still waiting on it (even though they've picked up my bin) and not holding my breathe on it either.

Not had a leaflet, so we rang them up on Monday and they gave us a new collection day of Tuesday. No collections took place on Tuesday. Today would have been our normal collection day, and guess what, no collections today either.

Great.

Not had a leaflet, so we rang them up on Monday and they gave us a new collection day of Tuesday. No collections took place on Tuesday. Today would have been our normal collection day, and guess what, no collections today either.

Great.

Perhaps they haven't received the leaflet either.

:)