Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

Quote The Guardian

"Government scraps weekly bin collections pledge

Fortnightly bin collections are to stay in the UK, after expense of changing to weekly forces government into U-turn"

This will please the Lab strong holds of, Reigate Surrey, Thame,Southern Oxfordshire, Harrogate, etc etc,who all have fortnightly collections. Whoops aren't they all Tory seats though.

Its also a disgrace that the people of these towns have to put up with this

So the Conservative Councils, can also say they didn't take Coalition Money

Im not sure what you mean by this. Labour controlled Sheffield City Council chose not to take money that was on offer from the coalition to keep weekly bin collections.Simple fact.

people are moaning because we pay council tax we are paying for thw service that we are not getting anymore yes the council tax is for other things but i was for WEEKLY bins as well. be for council tax came in we had bins ever week & we didn't pay anywhere near what we are paying in council tax. thats the reason why we are moaning!!!

please provide evidence that you don't have a bin emptied every week of the year?

I Live in Bassetlaw and we've had fortnightly collections for years...you'll get used to it!

There's always one. :rolleyes:

'Vehicle excise duty' then. It's still a tax that car owners have to pay regardless of what it's used for.

Yes, which goes into the general taxation pot. We would soon moan about Road Tax if that were set at a level which paid for the entire upkeep of the road network.

I'm not bothered particularly about the fortnightly collections. I am more concerned about the job losses etc.

BUT

I am miffed that last Thursday we got a ribbon on our bin saying from 13th the ollections would change to fortnightly and scheduled for Friday, then this morning awoke to the bins clattering on the Thurdsay collection as normal when mine were still in the back garden. With no time to get up and get my bins out as the only ones out and collected were those that never put their bins away.

There's always one. :rolleyes:

'Vehicle excise duty' then. It's still a tax that car owners have to pay regardless of what it's used for.

Not all car owners, those in band A pay no "road tax".

The Labour Council chose not to take up money from the coalition to enable them to continue with weekly collections saying that they dont want the coalition money.Its an absolute disgrace that the people of Sheffield have to put up with that just so that Labour can say that they didn't take coalition money.

Ridiculous.

Have you a link to where the council have said that please?

Have you a link to where the council have said that please?

No link

I just know that it was said at a meeting.And its from a reliable source.

No link

I just know that it was said at a meeting.And its from a reliable source.

Wasn't the coalition money (before they changed their mind) just a temporary thing? I thought they promised to fund the first year, if the council would commit to three years of weekly bin collections, or something like that.

To me, the LibDems appear somewhat dishonest by criticising the council. Their government is not offering enough money for the council to go on emptying bins weekly, but the local LibDems are trying to score political points by blaming the council.

Personally, I don't think there are very many families who really need their bins emptying weekly anyway. If people learn to crush bottles etc before putting them in the bin, it saves a lot of space. We are a family of four and sometimes don't put our bin out for 3 or 4 weeks.

Im not sure what you mean by this. Labour controlled Sheffield City Council chose not to take money that was on offer from the coalition to keep weekly bin collections.Simple fact.

Quite simple really If you feel it was an absolute disgrace for Sheffield

for the Labour run council to turn down the offer of money.

Surely you must say the same of of the 250 councils. who turned

down the offer. These of course included councils of all political persuasions

as per my examples I gave. It is all irrelevant now as Tory Government have done yet a another U and decided to do away with the offer.

just get over it thats the best way to do it so just put your head down and stop been marred about it

Quite simple really If you feel it was an absolute disgrace for Sheffield

for the Labour run council to turn down the offer of money.

Surely you must say the same of of the 250 councils. who turned

down the offer. These of course included councils of all political persuasions

as per my examples I gave. It is all irrelevant now as Tory Government have done yet a another U and decided to do away with the offer.

What I am saying is that the people who run a City should do the best it can for the residents of that City and if there was an opportunity to obtain money to ensure that people could continue with a weekly collection simply by applying for some funding then I see it as a duty of that Council to do so whether it be Sheffield, Manchester or any other place in the country. 2 wrongs dont make a right IMO.