Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

......... this might be a bit of a controversial approach at the tills in Sainsbury's, ...

They have a policy to accept this without argument.

Whether Cash-Till Tulisa knows this ... is another matter.

I've just read on the Sheffield Star's website that the introduction of fortnightly bin collections will start next month. I can't remember that being on the agenda when Labour asked me to vote for them at the last local election. Kept that one up their sleeve didn't they. What a little miracle worker Jack Scott is. First the dump-it sites and now the bins. How are we going to accommodate all the fly tippers? Perhaps if Jack Scott is reading any of this he'd like to leave his address so that we can re-direct them to his street.
but his qualifications include "chief executive at the foundation for social inclusion" whats all that about ?

We currently overfill our blue box with cardboard and paper (as in i have to stand on it to get it all in) and usually have a 3/4 to full blue bin full of tins, glass, plastic bottles so we can't recycle any more than we do. Our black bin is usually 3/4 to full each week.

I have relatives living in Lincolnshire (East Lindsey Council) who have fortnightly collections but they were given full size recycle bins not half size ones or boxes as we have. Their black bin is also larger than the normal size black bins we have here. These aren't large families either in one case it's just one elderly person in the house!!!

If this had been implemented here then people would be less likely to complain.

In our particular case we are lucky enough to have a neighbour who lives on her own so we will be able to use her black bin when ours gets full but most people aren't this lucky.

Cheers

Dave.

Typical labour council tactics of screwing us for as much council tax as possible and then reduce services. The city should be run by professional non political people not a bunch of political numpties who couldn't organise a jump in a place of horizontal recreation.

A question to the people who already have fortnightly bin collections, what other bins do you have and are these bins the same size as the black bin, or are they lots smaller like our blue bin and even smaller blue box?

My Bold=

dump it sites don't allow you in on foot.

Not , officially no , but it happens on a daily basis , especially with large vans who arnt allowed on site, so they park outside and carry the waste in.

A question to the people who already have fortnightly bin collections, what other bins do you have and are these bins the same size as the black bin, or are they lots smaller like our blue bin and even smaller blue box?

We have fortnightly`s up here ,and Barnsley council try and force you to have a vast army of bins lined up of all different colours and sizes .:hihi: There is a green one which is the same size as the black wheelie bin , a slightly smaller blue one ,and a slightly smaller brown one . Ive no idea what the green ,brown and blue ones are for as mine have never been used and are available to buy at cheap price . :hihi:

I don't think the guys who go around and clean the bins and replace the liners in them will be too happy. 50% of their business gone just like that. (if they do it weekly?)

I'm going to invent a product and sell it to the people who won't cope with the fortnightly emptying. I'm going to call it the breeze block, simply put it in the top of the bin when full and voila! 50% more space.

I'll even make it ethical and not put packaging on the breeze block. There is clearly demand for this looking at the rest of the post, I think i'm on to something here...:banana:

Me personally, I am in a family of four, lots of nappies, bin rarely full. The blue bin is always full, what can't go in there comes with me to either the local supermarket or park with recycling centres. It's a good excuse to get out of the house with the kids on a day off, and helps educate them about the environment. Car or not I'm sure most people have access to a recycling centre within walking distance? if not then complain about that instead.

If there are people out there who really are going to struggle would it not be wise to talk to your neighbours on the day of collection, if they are not filling up their bins why not stick a bag in there? You can return the favour by putting their bin out for them/bring it in.

Also if it appears that so many areas around the country have probably been doing this for a while you could quite easily change the debate to why have SCC left it so late and wasting money, etc etc..

Edited by alko27

the person who said they could not get a bigger bin with 5 people in the house must have been wrongly informed.

We come under rotherham council and have had fornightly collections for a few years now, however when we had our 3rd child we were entitled to an extra small black bin, would imagine this still applies, i would contact the council again, im sure you should be entitled to the extra bin?

no she said i couldnt have a larger black bin or any other bin becouse 5 didnt meet there criteria i didnt missunderstand her

We have a full size bin for recyclable materials that gets collected every other week, and a brown bin for garden waste.

To be honest, the recycling bin fills up long before the regular rubbish bin.

If everybody re-cycled all their plastic, glass and paper, a fortnightly collection should not be a problem. Does anybody know what actually happens to all the stuff we put out to be re-cycled? Does anybody actually work in a re-cycling plant in Sheffield? Is it all turned into new packaging or is it surreptitiously thrown into landfill sites or shipped off to third world countries?

If everybody re-cycled all their plastic, glass and paper, a fortnightly collection should not be a problem. Does anybody know what actually happens to all the stuff we put out to be re-cycled? Does anybody actually work in a re-cycling plant in Sheffield? Is it all turned into new packaging or is it surreptitiously thrown into landfill sites or shipped off to third world countries?

This is where the problem lies. Recyling in Sheffield is c**p to say the least. We used to have the blue bin for paper. Yet now they have replaced it with a box and a flimsy lid. Who in their right mind would trust their confidential waste to that contraption. cans and bottle recycling is ok I suppose but the bins should be the other way round. Blue box for cans and bottles and blue bin for paper.